PDA

View Full Version : New hose stuck

burt4750
07-11-2015, 08:31 AM
My husband tried to replace the hose that runs from the pool to the pump because the old one sprung a leak. He got the old hose off okay, but we had not read any directions about putting the end of the hose in hot water before installing. So...He got the hose on about 1/4 of the way and it won't go any further AND he can't get it off. It is stuck! Because it is only on 1/4 of the way water leaks out the end of the hose when the pump is running and when it is not running. Right now I have wrapped electrical tape around it the best I can but it is still leaking. My husband has screwed the hose clamp on as tight as it will go.

Can anyone give us some advice on how to remove this hose so we can dip it in hot water and try to get it to slide on all the way?

CarlD
07-11-2015, 04:02 PM
Usually you have enough slack to cut the inch of hose off and try again.
A very gentle application of a propane torch may loosen it enough to pull off, but you just want soften, not melt the hose.

BJohnston
07-13-2015, 08:33 AM
A propane torch works, but it's very easy to over do it. Maybe try a heat gun if you have one, or a decent hair dryer on high heat. You'll be less likely to melt things with those options.

CarlD
07-13-2015, 09:05 AM
I deliberately didn't suggest the hair dryer or heat gun because of all the water. If you DO decide to use one, be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN the GFCI works! Otherwise, don't use one.

GFCIs do work. When I was installing my liner a few weeks ago, it got misaligned and I had to pump the few inches of water from the deep end. The submersible's plug on the drop cord fell into the water and INSTANTLY flipped off! I wasn't touching it, but if I had, it would have saved me from a nasty, even deadly shock.

BJohnston
07-13-2015, 10:15 AM
GREAT POINT Carl!

I didn't think about that at all and I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't, being that I'm an Electrical Engineer by trade. I guess that sort of stuff is just second nature to me so I didn't even think about it.

I can also attest to the use of GFCI outlets. My pool pump and lights have one installed that I recently replaced. The PO's of my house must have had something nasty go on there because the original GFCI had black burn marks where the pump had been plugged in. I have no clue how you could get arcing or overloading to the point to cause that on a GFCI outlet. My experience is that they trip out way before that can happen.

Either way, when I rewired my plugs and switches, I hooked up my light by accident again. It was previously disconnected because it is corroded and no longer works. It's a niche-less type and I haven't been able to locate the junction box it's connected to on that end of the pool into to replace it (but that's a whole other story!) When I turned the breaker back on and when outside to test my connections, everything was dead, and I didn't immediately know why. After two trips back inside to get my mulit-meter instead of relying on my beep tester and double checking the breaker, I was still stumped.

Process of elimination led me to realizing that the GFCI had immediately tripped out when I had turned the breaker on. It was protecting everything down stream, including the new switch for the light, the extra outlet and the GFCI itself that my pump timer is plugged into. Un-wiring the light and problem solved. Now I just need to take the time to figure that one out. Starting with a little digging (literally) to find out where the junction box for the pool light is located.

CarlD
07-13-2015, 10:52 AM
It's second nature to me to be afraid, but not terrified of electricity. I'm not an electrician but I've dropped in new breakers and pulled lines, calculated the max load on the circuit, and put in panel-mounted GFCIs (My favorite, because, as you saw, they protect EVERYTHING from the box out). My basement had very few outlets when I moved in so during a remodel of the kitchen upstairs, had the electrician put 20amp GFCI 4-gang outlets all over the basement--at least 5 of them to run all my tools safely.