PDA

View Full Version : Adding Muriatic Acid

StoshJ
04-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Currently, once a week I add about 1/2 gallon of acid to my pool to bring it down from 7.8ish to 7.2 It's a new pool (Oct) and I've got a SWC. Was wondering if it's better to add a 1/4 gallon every 3 or so days instead of adding 1/2 a gallon once a week. Could larger doses less often do any "damage" instead of a more steady addition every couple of days?

Thanks...

waterbear
04-02-2006, 05:13 PM
I have a 6600 gal fiberglass pool with a SWG. My pH tends to stablize at 7.8. When it creeps above I add about 3 cups (24 oz.) of acid and my ph is just below 7.4. It then gradually creeps up to 7.6 over the next two or three weeks and then stays there for another 2 or 3 weeks. As long as it is staying in range of 7.2 to 7.8 I don't worry about it too much. I have used Borax in my poos so the borate/boric acid buffer system will stabilize the pH a bit higher than a bicarbonate/carbonic acid buffer system alone will.

rpoldervaart
04-07-2006, 03:38 PM
I've seen a couple different values, but I think the highest amount suggested was around 20oz per 10,000 gallons max.

I add to mine (new pool gunite water filled Nov 05 with SWC) a couple times per week. Once a week for me would get me over the suggested max that I mentioned above.

Robert