PDA

View Full Version : Overshooting Chlorine...on purpose

smokeygrl
06-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Hi all, I opened my pool last month (Gunite, 25,000 gallons) and fortunately found this forum before I added any pool store chemicals - (I've had a problem for the past two years keeping my chlorine levels stable...CYA >150!!!!) - been doin' nothin' but bleach and muriatic acid ever since and have a beautiful, crystal pool. CYA is now down to 80. Thanks to all of you.
Last week was unusually warm for S.E. Pennsylvania and I now believe I am fighting a little something on the floor of the deep end of my pool. (probably happened cause I was still in the learning curve of keeping my CL at around 8-10ppm with a test kit that only went to 5ppm - did figure out dilution method.) Anyway, I've been working to keep my chlorine at shock levels and holding there - but have been sort of "bouncing".
I think that I may need to target my breakpoint to 25ppm and hold there. I just got an FAS-DPD test so I should be able to do a better job of getting it up there accurately.....finally,
Here's my question, since my pool is plaster and high CL shouldn't hurt anything, What if I get real nuts with the bleach say, just go for about 30-ish ppm - then I'm sure to hit breakpoint and hover there for a few days and brush, brush, brush....
What do you think? I thought I saw Duraleigh maybe mention something similar somewhere but couldn't find it when I searched. Thank you.

aylad
06-13-2006, 06:33 PM
There is a thread in the chlorine section about the same issue. I personally can't see any reason why it would hurt--the reason the Cl is limited in a vinyl pool is to keep from bleaching the liner, but if your pool is plaster and white already, I don't see where it should hurt.......JMHO

Janet

duraleigh
06-13-2006, 06:34 PM
Smokey,

To my knowledge, the only restriction in Cl (within reason) would be for vinyl lined pools.

I would certainly consider 30ppm within reason for a plaster (gunite) pool and your CYA level.

Measure accurately and test accurately but I think that's exactly what I'd do if it were my pool.