PDA

View Full Version : not sure pf process

brandi
06-13-2006, 12:54 PM
hi everyone, new to forum, I have read lots of great things, and I also hate baquacil, what is the process for converting and which test kit should i buy???:(

aylad
06-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Buy a good, drop-based kit that will test higher than 5 ppm. The one Ben sells on this site is the best, but currently there are some shipping and backlog problems, so it may be awhile before you get it. Alternately, you can go to a pool store and buy the Taylor version of the kit. You don't want strips--you want drop-based.

The basic steps are easy--you add bleach (expecting a Mountain Dew green pool for awhile!) several times a day to burn up the old Baq, then when you can hold a chlorine residual, you change your filter media, add stabilizer, then start to balance your water. However, there are some details we need to give you specifics......how many gallons in the pool? what type of pool finish?

Janet

Bleach=Chlorine?
06-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Brandi,
Your best bet is to read the forum on converting from baquacil to chlorine. There are numerous posts relating to the conversion. If you want specific help then you would need to post size of pool, equipment type, and current testing numbers. Lastly, I would go to MegloMart and get a drop based (DPD) kit, the cheapest they have. That will provide FC, TC, CC and pH which should be enough to get started. TA, CH and CYA are also important tests but the kits that test for those are more expensive. If you want a very good kit then either order Ben's off www.poolsolutions.com or get the Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD kit.

VOLDADDY
06-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Brandi,

I converted from Baquacil last year and here is the best tip I can give you;
BUY A LOT OF BLEACH!!!! I think I used around 80+ gallons to do my conversion. You need to hammer away at it 3x a day. I would hit it first thing in the morning, then when I got home from work, and then before bed. Your pool will turn a very funky shade of green. I posted pictures of my conversion so you may want to take a look at them before you start. My pool is amazingly clear now, and I haven't seen the first speck of algae. Make sure you watch the pressure on your filter and backwash whenever the pressure starts going up. Always vac to waste to remove the gunk off of the bottom. Order Ben's kit. The Taylor mentioned above will work as a fill in until you get Ben's. You have to be able to read chlorine levels over 5 PPM. Post any questions you have and someone will be glad to help. Good luck!