PDA

View Full Version : Questions about switching to a salt system

Norman
05-04-2015, 02:20 PM
Hello All,

I have a few questions regarding a conversion from chlorine to salt, due to certain health reasons...

Some general info: 24' round above-ground pool. 4' deep. 1 hp pump with a Hayward cartridge filter (dont have the model handy).

1) Can i use the pump/filter i am currently using? Or does the salt system require different equipment?
2) What are the proper testing methods?
3) I plan on rebuilding my pool deck this year, is there any preferred materials (pressure treated, etc.) that stand up better to the salt water?
4) Can some recommendations be made for good salt water generators? High end, low end, and middle-of-the-road)?
5) I replaced my liner last summer with a standard above ground pool vinyl liner, from everything I have read I should be fine with this liner, but just want to be safe. I also have plastic steps, so i know ladder corrosion will not be an issue?
6) How is the shocking/opening/closing procedures different form chlorine? Seeing as i lifted my pool cover and the water is dark green, i will be pumping it, cleaning it, and starting with fresh utility water.

Thank you in advance for your input.