PDA

View Full Version : unable to unscrew SWG for cleaning

phillipjko
04-27-2015, 09:50 PM
I tried everything to open it. The Pipe seems 'stuck' I use a large size tool to try to pry it open but decided againist too much force as I did not want to risk breaking the pipe and redo again. I use the Calcium lime remover but that did not budge. Advise?

SunnyOptimism
04-28-2015, 12:49 PM
I tried everything to open it. The Pipe seems 'stuck' I use a large size tool to try to pry it open but decided againist too much force as I did not want to risk breaking the pipe and redo again. I use the Calcium lime remover but that did not budge. Advise?

What kind of SWG is it? Are these just standard PVC screw-on unions?

If find for PVC screw unions that strap wrenches work the best. They conform to and grip the typically irregular surfaces of the threaded union nut and give you a lot of leverage without metal jaws gouging into the plastic. If you have two of them, it's typically really easy to undo even the stiffest unions.

Hopefully the unions are not cross-threaded and/or the threads stripped. If you do get it off, it's always best to use liquid teflon thread sealant, not teflon tape, when closing it back up again.

Pool Clown
04-29-2015, 06:10 PM
The threads don't seal, the oring(s) do. Union ring should never have to be tightened more than hand tight. If it still leaks, the o rings need to be replaced.

SunnyOptimism
04-29-2015, 09:06 PM
If you do get it off, it's always best to use liquid teflon thread sealant, not teflon tape, when closing it back up again.

I should have elaborated a bit as PoolClown is correct, on a threaded union, the threads don't do any sealing and hand tightening is all you need.

So why use thread paste? I do it because I find that, in my climate, threads will get locked up with lots of dust, sand and gunk. Teflon thread paste doesn't solidify or cure but stays as a viscous fluid. So it makes taking the union on and off very easy and it keeps the union threads from getting locked up. Since it's PVC, you can't spray LiquidWrench or any kind of hydrocarbon-based thread compound on it.

The teflon thread paste is not at all necessary, just a quick little trick I learned long ago....