PDA

View Full Version : PS233 Results--Your input please!

SandyDittmer
06-12-2006, 09:50 AM
Got the liner leak found and fixed (the pool drained all but 14" of water over the winter!). It's funny how a tiny, tiny hole can leak a LOT of water!! Refilled the pool, added chlorine, and here's our first results of the year. 13,600 gallons, AG, vinyl lined pool with deep end. We use bleach to sanitize.

FC 2.5
CC 0
TC 2.5
pH 7.5
Alkalinity *90-100*
Cya 0 (due to refilling of pool)

Questions:

When I do the Alkalinity test and the green starts going to a red color, do you stop as soon as you see a murky pink or add the extra one drop to turn it a true red color? That's the reason for my 2 numbers above. One is a muddy pink, the other is a vivid, true pink/red.

Also, what do I want to shoot for as far as Cya goes? I know it depends on chlorine usage. I would rather use as little chlorine as possible.

Finally, does my alkalinity need raising, and if so, how much baking soda should I use? Will this also adversely affect my pH?

Thanks for your advice. I'm still learning, but I have come a long ways and have steered many people here.

Sandy Dittmer

duraleigh
06-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Hi, Sandy,

Those numbers look great! Nice Work.

Alk is fine...I count mine when it turns truly pink/red but 10ppm is not critical either way.

I would recommend 40ppm for CYA. That should hold your consumption down and allow you to go higher later if you choose. The container of CYA will tell you how much to use.:)