PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to remove the plug from the skimmer?

ValAZ
04-01-2006, 08:47 PM
New pool, almost full of water ....

Have a question. I had the skimmers and the drains plumbed separate from each other to the filter. I'm unsure whether I am supposed to take out the plug that is in the skimmer. It would connect to the drains, according to the installation directions, but maybe that line isn't even there if I had separate lines put in? I wish I had looked at this back when. I'm thinking if the drain and skimmer are connected, then I wouldn't be able to turn them off at the valve, so the plumber must not have put it in? The original plans had them connected, and I changed it, so I can't check those either.

Obviously, did this pool myself, and I can't reach the plumbing sub, and it's the weekend ...

I'm thinking I don't have to start up the skimmers right yet anyway, since they're on separate lines, so I can wait till I get hold of him, but I'm wondering ...

Am I right about this? If the skimmers and drains were on separate lines, then I should have only one open hole in the bottom of my skimmer, leading to the filter/pump, right?

Valerie

waterbear
04-01-2006, 08:54 PM
The way my pool skimmer and drain lines were plumbed was a line from the skimmer to a jandy 3 way valve and a line from the 2 drains to the 3 way valve. This then leads into my pump and filter. My builder told me there is not direct connection between the drains and skimmer and the second hold in the skimmer is pluged for that reason. I am not a plumbing expert but I do know that this is one correct way to plumb them from research I have done. When I vacumn I set the jandy on skimmer only and in normal operation I have found I get best results by setting it on 1/4 skimmer 3/4 drain (in other words, not directly in the middle but between the middle and drain only). In my pool this results in allowing the circlation system to pull the stuff from the bottom into the filter and still gives me good surface skimming. I arrived at this by trial and error to see what position kept the pool cleanest for the longest time.

So to answer your question, yes, if the skimmer is plumbed separately from the drains it is entirely possible that the skimmer will have only one open hole although it is possible that it would have both holes open also if the equalizer line has been installed to the drain. Actually, from the research I have done on the net it seems that having the skimmer plumbed to the pump and having the front hole plugged is the rule rather than the exception.

Here is a link that might help explain it better than I can
http://www.poolplaza.com/pool-school/plumbing_valves_intakes_skimmers.shtml
Hope this has been some help to you!:D

ValAZ
04-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the info.

I relayed it back to my son, who then clearly remembered seeing the front hole on the skimmer being capped at the bottom, and the other hole being piped back to the pump.

Unfortunately, the hole leading to the pump is the one with that danged plug in it, and after trips to the Depot, Lowe's and a hardware store, no one has anything I can use to get that plug out. I was hoping to avoid calling a start-up person or the plumber back out, because I know how to operate everything else. Oh, well.

Thanks again!

Valerie

rmeden
04-01-2006, 11:52 PM
front hole in the skimmer? I think I've heard that used for "equalization". Mine is piped open to the pool.

I think the purpose is to prevent the skimmer from sucking air if the water level drops below the skimmer.

I'm sure others will post..

waterbear
04-01-2006, 11:58 PM
It can be but it doesn't have to be. From my understanding it is usually capped but it can be plumbed to the drain so the skiimmer doesnt suck air or it can be plumbed to an equalization line going directly into the pool below the skimmer. At least this is what my builder told me and I found the same info on the link I posted previously.