PDA

View Full Version : Advise on good solar reel. Heavy Duty.

Aranon
06-11-2006, 10:29 PM
I have a 18 x 40 oval above ground with a bubble solar cover thats heavy. After three days of unrolling it up and out by hand, I realize I need a solar reel. But which one. I want to mount it permanently on to the fence which is about 4 feet from the oval end.

But I want a heavy duty one with SS bearings that won't go out. I want one where one person can roll it up and grab a strap and pull it over the pool by themselves.

Surely you all use them. From the ads you can't tell what the bearings are made off. I have heard horror stories of plastic bearings and hard to turn. I seen Rocky's reels but don't want to spend that much. Who has experience with a good heavy duty reel for around $200 or less. Please advise. Thanks
Aranon:confused:

NWMNMom
06-12-2006, 08:34 AM
My husband made ours - 20' steel pipe, ssbearings, welded on steel pipes into concrete in the ground and a nice heavy crank handle. One person can crank it from the end, but always better with an extra person to guide the blanket and keep it from hanging up under the top caps and rails. It is about 2-3' off the end of the pool.

Aranon
06-12-2006, 08:27 PM
I thought about making ours, but wanted Aluminum Pipe which I think might cost as much as the reel. Surely someone knows where to get a good one.

sevver
06-12-2006, 08:57 PM
My husband made ours - 20' steel pipe, ssbearings, welded on steel pipes into concrete in the ground and a nice heavy crank handle. One person can crank it from the end, but always better with an extra person to guide the blanket and keep it from hanging up under the top caps and rails. It is about 2-3' off the end of the pool.
Seeing as how my brother is a welder, can you post a pic of it for me to show him?

NWMNMom
06-12-2006, 10:58 PM
I'll get some pix tomorrow. Modification made this afternoon to reel - 10'x3" pvc added to the center - washers welded at center and evenly at sides to mount/hold pvc - this was added to reduce the revolutions required to reel it up - Final reeled up blanket is "fatter" on the reel but then my arm isn't sore from cranking a dozen times to get the straps reeled in before the blanket!

Aranon
06-12-2006, 11:09 PM
I even thought of making one with an old ten speed or 5 speed bycycle gears so you could pick which ratio you wanted to reel it up. Example turn just a couple of turns of the crank which would turn the reel several times. or if got hard change gears and make it easier to turn the crank but less revolutions. Or just hook it up so it turns several revolutions but easy to turn. Oh the possibilites of gears. lol. But would take some time to build.

Aranon

MaxxFusion
06-13-2006, 07:25 AM
I'll get some pix tomorrow. Modification made this afternoon to reel - 10'x3" pvc added to the center - washers welded at center and evenly at sides to mount/hold pvc - this was added to reduce the revolutions required to reel it up - Final reeled up blanket is "fatter" on the reel but then my arm isn't sore from cranking a dozen times to get the straps reeled in before the blanket!

Maybe a parts list of what you used to make this? A quick write up would be nice for us do it yourselfers.

Aranon
06-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Could you get some detailed pics?

Aranon
06-14-2006, 10:36 PM
Anyone have any pics or suggest a heavy duty solar reel that will last. Maybe a brand and model number. Please.

NWMNMom
06-15-2006, 09:57 AM
I have pix but can't post anymore here due to limits. I need to register with Photobucket or something so I can set a link...We are VERY happy with the reel he built, it worked just as it should yesterday when we got home from work and wanted a swim, reeled right up and pulled back out very nice when we were done.

YES its heavy and big, but then we aren't moving it anytime soon. Its not fancy or slick looking like the ones you buy, its very simple and the PVC pipe in the center is the only plastic, its there to bulk up/support the center, doesn't move so won't be breaking or bending. I suppose total cost was under $40-50 with the steel/iron pipes and Quickcrete being the highest items. Elbow grease has its own cost, but well worth it.

It looks pretty tidy back out of the way too - like I said before though, maybe 1-1.5' higher may have been nicer for preventing catching under rails - flipping/folding each of sides in 6-10" before reeling solves that.

Aranon
06-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Thank you Mom. Would love to see pics when you can post.
Aranon

Aranon
06-25-2006, 01:18 PM
I was thinking about either this one

http://www.solarcovers.com/Product_Page/Solar_Reel_In_Ground.html

S6405 Signature Series Solar Reel Up to 20' wide $279.99 $269.99

or this one

http://www.solarcovers.com/Product_Page/Solar_Reel_In_Ground.html

LOW PROFILE SOLAR REEL
Get superior performance and commercial quality with this new low profile design. This low profile reel, only 12" high, is constructed from Cast Aluminum throughout and has a heavy-duty aluminum crank handle. Item # Description Price

455020 Pools Up to 22' Wide $219.99

Anyone had one of these or have one now and how do you like it and stuff.

Please advise.
Aranon

Aranon
07-03-2006, 08:54 PM
So does anyone know of a good solar reel? Still waiting for response? Waiting patiently for all of your responses. Please don't everyone answer at once. Does anyone have a solar reel that they would suggest or buy again or like or are friends with?

Thank you very much.
Aranon