PDA

View Full Version : pool lighting

FlareRed
10-08-2014, 05:45 AM
Hey All,
I am new to the site and new to an in ground indoor pool. We purchased the house with an existing pool. It is a 16x32. The pool had an underwater light that isn't working. I am wondering 3 questions
1. Can this be replaced with a new light without draining pool?
2. For those that have lights, do you use 5 hem a lot to warrant buying a light? I saw one that was color changing but it was $475.00
3. If I do get a light, do I want LED, 12 volt or regular?
Thanks in advance

kelemvor
10-09-2014, 10:21 PM
1. Yes
2. I do, it's a matter of opinion - and safety if you swim at night. There's an inherent risk in swimming in dark water at night. You might not notice a drowning swimmer until it is too late.
3. LED is the most energy efficient, and it can produce white light. Incandescent lights produce yellow light and it makes your pool look green when lit. Bright blue with a white LED.

Before you go about replacing the whole light, see if you can replace just the bulb. If you unscrew the screw from the top of the light it should float to the surface. There should be a few feet of extra cable and you can pull it out of the water. Take it apart and see if you can find a replacement bulb. You will probably need to replace the gasket between the glass and metal "back" of the light when you do this. Otherwise there's a good chance it will leak when you re-assemble.

If you do end up replacing the whole thing I'd go LED. You can get 12v or 120v depending on what your current system is on. It's probably easiest just to continue with the voltage you've already got. A n incandescent or halogen pool bulb can be several hundred watts. An LED will probably be well under 100 to put out a reasonable amount of light.

I went with a color changing LED. It's great for night time parties - pool or not. Fun for the kids on occasion as well. In the end, you don't need LED. It's a question of whether or not you think the color and lower power consumption are worth the cost. If you use the light a lot it might not take too long for the energy savings to pay the price difference.

Pauhana
10-17-2014, 12:40 PM
I too am looking at replacing out a light. The fixture I have is extremely old; there's a container holding the bulb that's 6" deep, 2 3/4" diameter at the back, and 5" diameter at the front. I'm going to look around for an LED replacement.

The alternative, according to one estimate, is to pay $2859 to replace the light niche, upgrade to a colored LED, and install 40 feet of conduit/J-box/GFI (all but the niche of which I planned on doing myself anyway).

If kelemvor or anyone else has recommendations on a replacement fixture, I'd appreciate hearing them. (I'm not quite sure if I can just look for a complete fixture to fit within the existing niche, or if I really do need to bite the bullet and pay for a new niche; I'm hoping that it's not the latter...).

CarlD
10-17-2014, 07:36 PM
I don't know much about that kind of lighting, but I do suspect your estimator sees you as a sheep to be sheared...or he doesn't want the job at all and gave you a very high price in the hope you won't pay him to do it.

Personally, I would never have a 110v light under any circumstances...no more than 12v, ever. My lights are different in that the clear lenses are installed through the pool wall and the light is inserted into it, from behind, and is never immersed. The lights are also 12v.

kelemvor
10-20-2014, 09:54 PM
Sounds like that was an estimate to replace a niche on an inground pool. That likely involves breaking up some of the concrete to do.

I would find a light that fits in your current niche. You do that by finding the brand of your current light or niche and buying the same brand.

That "container holding the bulb" sounds like a typical light. Here's a photo of my old one (with the glass front removed) before I replaced it with an LED.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4116/4819933152_285afb2b62_z_d.jpg

Pauhana
10-21-2014, 03:40 PM
Thanks guys.

Yes, this is an in-ground pool, but in preparation for resurfacing, I've pulled the old niche out myself and ordered the plastic Pentair niche, which will hold the Intellibrite 12V LED that I'm converting to. Looks like it should fit fine. Honestly, I don't understand why these pool folks feel the need to give unreasonably high quotes for things like a light replacement. All the parts - light, niche, and controller - are on their way; total was $730. They want me to believe that installation will run over $2100? Uh, no, I think I'll shop around...

FlareRed
10-30-2014, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the replies. I believe my old light was a pentair. I will go to led but the wife doesn't want to go color changing. Bummer I thought it would look cool but again how often will we light it?
Thanks again
Jerry

N8inNC
03-27-2015, 01:55 PM
If you are running LED the question is... How often would you NOT run it! :)

Ransx77
05-01-2015, 01:13 PM
I'm in the same predicament, need a new light, already decided to go to LED, now the question is Hayward or Pentair? Or are there other choices? Most of the reviews I've seen knock the Hayward pretty bad for not lasting and not having factory support, but I realize that typically reviews aren't representative because people who are happy with a product are far less likely to bother posting about it. If I do go Hayward, as my pool guy is pushing, would it be 2.5 or 4.0? I cannot determine the difference (either way it will be 120v).
Thanks in advance,

stingr4y
06-01-2015, 07:10 AM
Be aware that just because it is color changing doesn't mean that has to constantly change colors.

Ours can be set to just about any constant color, as well as a variety of changing patterns.

Maybe you can both be happy?

I also find that now the family loves night swimming!