PDA

View Full Version : Pool lights

joelmilot
10-05-2014, 08:52 PM
This will be our second winter with the new pool, winterized last year like the sticky post noted. Over the winter I read a post where they took their light out of the niche and sank it to the bottom of the pool for winter. Is this something that needs to be done? We have traditional plastic Hayward DuraNiche with led ColorLogic light fixtures in them, so everything is plastic.

I think the water was around 6-8 inches above them for closing and i'm sure the water froze around them, with the winter we had. Now I'm wondering how well they will hold up as the plastic ages over the years. Plus they were a pain to install, you have to twist lock the trim ring in place, which are smooth plastic and at the time there was no water in the pool, really don't want to mess with them every year. What does everyone else do? Thanks

SunnyOptimism
10-05-2014, 10:07 PM
I don't close my pool because of location so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I don't see why you'd have to remove the light from the niche unless you were seriously worried about a deep freeze. I don't a thing about Michigan winters but if you've got 6-8" if water above the light and you deep freeze down to that level then that may warrant the effort.

By the way, aren't lights designed to float when removed from their niches?

FormerBromineUser
10-06-2014, 11:42 PM
Here in the Chicago area, many people I know with mesh-covers, "float" their regular lights to protect them from the freeze-thaw-rain-freeze cycle. Dropping them has an advantage in that you "clean" the light niches that way, but it sounds like your housing is difficult. I don't know anything about LED lights. Personally, I would rather deal with a difficult removal than a costly replacement. 0.02$