PDA

View Full Version : Too much clarifier/floc?

EllenA
06-11-2006, 11:38 AM
I had a pool disaster over the winter when a mountain stream flooded above the pool and leaves/sticks/mud came in under the cover. (I have a large culvert and a ditch around the pool but sometimes too much rain falls too fast and the debris clogs both. This happened this time) I couldn't tell how much mud was in there and optimistically chose to filter the water rather than empty the pool. (Vinyl lined in-ground 20X25 irregular shaped). Have been filtering 24/7 for over two weeks now, frequent backwashing of sand filter. Lots of yuck coming out. Also using vacuum robot and Dolphin electric bag-filter robot. Have super chorinated it and used probably too much of Aqua Chem clarifier. Water is now consistently muddly looking but much better than when I started. I can see the first step of the steps, about 18" down, which I could not when I started. Dirt does not settle out to the bottom when I shut off the filter for 24 hours. Particles remain suspended. Put a Slimebag on the return and got lots of fine particles too. (blew out the seam on the Slimebag and am now in process of washing it and repairing it; will put it back on) My question is, if I used too much clarifier, bottle says I can make the matter worse and disperse small particles rather than collect them. How do I undo this, or can I?

EricF
06-11-2006, 12:39 PM
I am not sure about the clarifier problem. I do know that, according to the manufacturer, the slimebag is not to be used with clarifier. I assume it clogs the bag. This is probably why the seam blew out.

EricF

EllenA
06-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks Eric, but I was thinking that if I overshot on the clarifier, what I have is dispersed fine particles, which is what the Slime Bag is for. In defense of the Bag, I have used it for several years, and it has been exposed to high levels of chlorine so I have no complaint about the seam. It worked well. Having no other answers posted here so far, I am going to keep on doing what I am doing, but add a pair of old pantyhose to the skimmer basket, put the Bag back on the return, keep chlorine at at least 5 ppm, and filter, filter, filter.

tphaggerty
06-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Throw on some skimmer socks! There is recent long discussion about using them. They filter an amazing amount of suspended stuff and will help cut down on your backwashing needs. In your extreme situation, if you have 2 skimmers, you might just put a sock on one (that way, if it clogs up due to the sock, you are still skimming with the other).

I would buy a five pack and just keep rotating on a new one and wash out the old. Every little bit helps!

EllenA
06-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Thanks, TP, I will do that. I did find that discussion and thought I would give the pantyhose a try first but they ended up coming off the filter basket and got sucked into the pump basket so I don't know just how much dirt they caught before they got "washed"! so will look for those socks. Walmart?

tphaggerty
06-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Don't know about Walmart. Leslies has them (local stores and online). I would guess any pool store has them. I take out the "lifting stick", put in the skimmer sock then put the stick back into the skimmer. This helps lock the sock in place, but I've never had one come out yet.

I think these are better than nylons, they have a pretty dense and soft mesh that really seems to grab onto pollen and fine dirt.