PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing Without Draining its okay?

Kimberly Dukes
09-20-2014, 01:49 AM
My inground pool has two suction ports, one in the skimmer and one a foot below the skimmer. within the past I actually have drained the pool regarding eighteen inches to blow out that bottom line and obstructed it. Is there an additional economical and less pricey way? I assumed there perhaps a plug with a check valve permitting to blow through however not permitting water to flow back in. Thanks.

CarlD
09-20-2014, 06:52 AM
Welcome!
I can only tell you the theory: The IG pool folks can tell you the practical. Seems you have to blow out the line before you plug it, to get the water out, but I've not heard of a one-way plug. You may want to consider putting non-toxic pool anti-freeze in the lines, too (they use the same stuff in the water tanks on RVs and in cold-climate solar hot water heaters.).

Beyond that, I'll let the experts pick up.

PoolJunkie
09-21-2014, 12:35 AM
The guys that closed my pool last year (first season) fabricated 90 degree angle PVC pipes that sealed to all return lines and ended above the water level, and straight pipes that sealed the skimmer line to above the water level. Then they blew the water out of them and capped them off with threaded caps. That way we did not need to drain any water to have it closed. We saved all the pipes to use annually. It worked great.

PoolDoc
09-21-2014, 07:20 PM
PoolJunkie's idea is workable, though I've not seen that done in my area.

The method used here is to plug the lower opening WHILE the blower is forcing air through the pipe. Of course, with your particular set up that means someone has to get wet and cold.

. . . membership updated.

Kimberly Dukes
09-22-2014, 12:18 AM
Thank you both of you .Really appreciated your ideas as well as Suggestions :)

JimK
09-25-2014, 08:38 PM
PoolJunkie's idea is workable, though I've not seen that done in my area.

The method used here is to plug the lower opening WHILE the blower is forcing air through the pipe. Of course, with your particular set up that means someone has to get wet and cold.

. . . membership updated.

I use to do the "cold & wet" method (of course I was the one getting cold and wet..lol) until I bought these;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JIFFOQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IZPJB2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They seem to work fine, although I have no way of confirming absolutely that they don't leak over the winter.

I must admit I questioned the need to blow out the bellow ground pipes in our area (SE coastal VA) since it rarely stays below freezing. I have a hard time believing the ground freezes that deep here. However, the installer warned that a cracked pipe or skimmer would cost big bucks to repair, so I blow out the lines to be on the safe side.

Edit: Found some more one way valves;

http://www.amazon.com/One-Way-Swimming-Pool-Winterizing-Valve/dp/B002GTD1RW/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_cp_2_8TJF?ie=UTF8&refRID=17KWQQ2XYRJBCAMNB3Z8