PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse 3

frankcav
06-11-2006, 11:34 AM
First of all thank you for the excellent information and advice I have been reading on the forum.

I was wondering what Eclipse3 is, it is offered online and used at a popular waterpark. Does anyone know what it is?

Frank

waterbear
06-11-2006, 11:48 AM
From what I have been able to find out about it on the net it seems to be a copper based algecide. In the Swim's website has this in it's description of it:

"Unique pre-kelated formula helps control algae blooms and reduces the demand on your pool's sanitizer, which saves you money"

and

"Enforce scale & stain remover should be used prior to adding Eclipse3, to prevent existing metals from creating stains." (emphasis mine)
The Manufacturer's website says:

"Eclipse3 is an all-natural mineral treatment for pools, spas and hot tubs." (emphasis mine)
Minerals is a word that many manufacturers use for metals like copper, silver, and zinc when they want to make it "sound nicer". Just check out the websites for Nature2 and PoolFrog! Seems to be a standard marketing practice to call things like copper sulfate and silver nitrate all natural minerals!

It is something that you DO NOT NEED to keep your pool clean and clear!

Check out this thread for info on copper/silver/zinc treatments!
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=98

Just my 2 cents!

frankcav
06-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks, it sounded to good to be true, the link to the thread was very helpful...just got back from buying more BBB.
On a side note, when we opened the pool for the first time this year, of course the pool store guy recommended a new Nature2 cartridge. After finding this forum, and avoiding the purchase, I made sure that the vessel had no old cartridge in it.
Kind of interesting that these manufacturers make a lot of generic claims, but scientific data is minimal at best. Brings me back to a post somewhere on this forum, 'when there is confusion there is money to be made'.