PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to plug the Skimmer for winter

rdefino
09-17-2014, 10:37 AM
I plan on disconnecting the filter and lines completely from the and putting the filter in the basement. I was going to plug the return, but the skimmer will have the hole at the bottom opened. Should that be plugged or left open for rain water and melting snow to drain?

thanks

CarlD
09-17-2014, 03:33 PM
The problem is if ice forms enough to plug the hole you could be in trouble. You can get a "Gizmo" to screw into the skimmer, or, if you have lots of foam rubber around, stuff it into the skimmer so any ice that forms has expansion room.

rajung
09-18-2014, 07:28 AM
I just received a #9 rubber plug, and a cover for my skimmer.#A7947 - Skimmer Plug for Above Ground Pools " in the swim"
The skimmer cover has a plastic face with a foam back cut slightly smaller than the front side, it will press into the skimmer and hold by compression fit.
Also, if you get that same type cover, look on the back foam side of it, there will be a round plug you remove that fits into the small vacuum port of the skimmer.
This will be my first time doing this also.temps back to mid 70's this week end, so next week?