PDA

View Full Version : First real winterizing, oddball setup.

columbusdan
09-15-2014, 09:18 AM
I have/had a truly oddball setup for my IG pool...at least as compared to most of the others I read about. I have posted on here about it as I have worked through some issues over the years as I bought the house as a foreclosure.

My 12x24 IG pool used to have a sunroom built over top, so that made it kind of an "indoor" pool. The sunroom was not in great shape, so we decided to remove it. We did that last fall, installed a new liner this past spring, had a great swimming season (except for the cool summer!), and now I am doing my first full winterization.

Another "odd" part about my setup is my cartridge filter and pump are both in the basement of my house (the pool is actually right out the back door, with about a 4' sidewalk separating the pool from the house). This scares me from the standpoint of leaks or catastrophic pipe breaks, but it is great when it comes to keeping the equipment at a stable temp and out of the weather. I have one skimmer and two returns (the second return used to feed a fountain which was removed, I kept the line feeding it in case we ever want to use it in the future, it just sticks out of the concrete on the side opposite the house. I do use this to drain water from the pool, I attach a flexible hose to it and put the other end in the downspout drain).

So, first is winterizing the lines. Last year I didn't have a cover on the pool since we were replacing the liner anyway. I drained the lines by opening the valves in the basement and figured gravity allowed the water to exit the lines...but there was no real way for me to tell if they were truly void of any water. I did add anti-freeze. With no cover the skimmer basket kept getting water in it, so I kept adding anti-freeze, the cold winter kept me up at night. I don't want to go through that again this winter. I have done some research on blowing out the lines. My pump has that plug at the bottom that I can unscrew and hook my pancake compressor up to (which is what I do to flush my sprinkler lines for the season). However, I have read where some folks don't think that type of compressor will have the volume of air to do the job. If I do try this compressor, assuming I don't do something stupid like leaving a valve shut, can I do any harm? I do have a heater which is also in the basement, but it is shot and will be removed at some point, just not now. Thoughts on using the compressor?

The other issue is the cover. I bought a standard winter cover and was going to use water bags to anchor it. I also have a couple air pillows to help keeping it from sinking to the water level, especially if it gets some rain/snow on it. I have read where some folks now prefer not to cover, but I would prefer to keep all the junk out of it over the winter as we have a lot of trees around. I am guessing I will probably have to pump off some water from the cover over the winter if some low spots present themselves. Thoughts on this?

My last question is my filter cartridge. Should I keep it submerged in water all winter (either in the filter or in a garbage can) or take it out and store it dry?

Other than that, I should be good as the equipment is in a heated environment, correct?

Any input appreciated!!

CarlD
09-15-2014, 09:48 AM
Welcome!
I'm not the expert on winterizing pools with underground lines. Generally, though, I'm guessing it would be best if you could fill your underground lines with pool anti-freeze and plug them, disconnecting your pump and filter for the winter, and, perhaps, storing your cartridge in a cleaning bath, since it's in your basement already. You should be able to blow out the lines with a shop vac, rather than a compressor as vacs generally pack more volume and less pressure.

But...I'll let those who know better correct me.

columbusdan
09-15-2014, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the input. Two follow-ups:

1. Where would I insert the shop-vac, into the skimmer? Do I need some sort of adapter for the vacuum hose? If so, will it have enough power to push the water back up the pipes from the basement up to the return lines? It probably has to travel 4 or 5 feet up, and then approximately another 10 feet or so horizontally to the actual return line exits.

2. Why would I have to disconnect the filter and pump if they are out of the weather? I can easily drain both. Disconnecting looks like a major hassle...especially for the pump.

Thanks!

Welcome!
I'm not the expert on winterizing pools with underground lines. Generally, though, I'm guessing it would be best if you could fill your underground lines with pool anti-freeze and plug them, disconnecting your pump and filter for the winter, and, perhaps, storing your cartridge in a cleaning bath, since it's in your basement already. You should be able to blow out the lines with a shop vac, rather than a compressor as vacs generally pack more volume and less pressure.

columbusdan
09-15-2014, 10:30 AM
Welcome!

One other follow up....there is really no way for me to get anti-freeze into the return line...unless I screw an "elbow" fitting into the outlet and pour it into that...is that how people do it?

CarlD
09-15-2014, 10:58 AM
OK. I need to let the IG people take over.

Personally, I put Quick Connects EVERYWHERE on my pool plumbing, along with ball valve cutoffs (many ball valves double as quick connects) so I can get into any part of the plumbing easily.

Usually, you drain the pool below the returns, then you can plug your vac in there to blow the lines downward. Works with the skimmer, too. But the low drains? I don't know.

If you can cut your pump and filter off and drain them, I guess that's fine.

Again, I'd rather those more familiar advise you than me. I've got an AG pool and I simply remove all the plumbing, plugging the returns and drains. Since most of the plumbing is TigerFlex (flexible PVC) it's easy.

columbusdan
09-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Well, things went smooth. Because I have a "flooded" system where my pump and filter are below the skimmer and return lines, all I had to do was open up the filter and pump, then open the valves for the returns and gravity drained the lines for me. The same concept worked for the skimmer, however, I would always see some water in the drain of the skimmer...almost like you would see in a sink drain (due to the trap). Would a skimmer normally be plumbed with a trap like a sink drain? I wanted to be sure it was empty, so I poured in some anti-freeze and had my wife down at the pump to let me know if she was seeing it. It wasn't until I started pouring it fast that it finally "let loose" and got down to her. So, its almost like somewhere in the plumbing (which is all under ground), there is a point where the pipe goes up hill and needs a little pressure for the liquid to drain. Or maybe its just because there was no alternate source of air for the line (rules of plumbing drains). On my returns, since I have two, if you keep them both open, they both will drain. Its a slower process if you don't open both. In any event, all lines are drained, I added some anti-freeze just in case, and all lines are plugged. Installing cover in the coming day or two (not enough hours in the day).

CarlD
09-18-2014, 12:05 PM
Again, it's beyond my personal experience.

But skimmers don't have traps. Sinks, tubs and toilets do because the trap is a vapor block to prevent sewer gasses from coming back up into the house, which are disgusting smelling, can be poisonous, and even flammable. Pools are closed systems so traps aren't necessary or appropriate.