PDA

View Full Version : Is bubble need during the winter for above ground

rdefino
08-31-2014, 12:08 PM
I live in Mass, and we get snow and low freezing temps.

I was told a cover is not needed, but can help with not having an algae bloom in the spring.

But is a bubble needed for an above ground during the winters if the top few inches might freeze?

thanks

CarlD
08-31-2014, 12:14 PM
If you use a cover, you must use a pillow of some sort to support the cover and, hopefully, have water flow off it. The water/ice in the pool acts as a support because otherwise the ice, snow and water in the cover puts a ton of inward pressure on the pool walls and can bend and collapse them. The ice on the top of the pool water is no big deal. In fact, if you keep your pool open the ice will keep debris from going to the bottom.

Watermom does not cover her AG pool over the winter. Other AG pool owners don't either. My dad used to use 6 or 8 truck inner tubes as his "bubble" and they worked great.

So the job of the pillow is to support the cover against ice and snow.

BigDave
08-31-2014, 02:30 PM
I find the pillow also helps pumping the water off the cover because it keeps it near the edges and easier to reach.

rdefino
09-24-2014, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Now would I have to worry about the sun fading my liner with no cover?

CarlD
09-24-2014, 05:37 PM
In the winter? In Massachusetts????

Watermom
09-24-2014, 09:04 PM
I never have a problem.

rdefino
09-25-2014, 01:06 PM
Thank you. Odd, growing up I was always told a bubble was need to keep the ice from pressing on the inside of the walls of the pool. It gave the ice the ability to push into the bubble being that the bubble is flexible. Any truth to that?

BigDave
09-25-2014, 01:09 PM
I always thought that as well and it may have been true then. Modern AG pool walls are usually formed in a slight zig-zag pattern that's supposed to accomodate the expansion of the ice.

rdefino
09-25-2014, 01:13 PM
mmm, is that why my doughboy when looking at the wall from above it's in a wave pattern. the side go in and out.