PDA

View Full Version : Found this forum too late -- need some guidance on a conversion already begun

eyesfinallyopened
06-11-2006, 03:08 AM
Hi,
I'm so grateful to have found this forum! We've tolerated Baquacil for 2 years and are now selling our house and I need my pool to stay absolutely lovely. I spoke to a nice lady at a local pool supply store who researched for me and gave me some very specific instructions, which I have started following:

1. Add 2 lbs potassium mono persulfate (something called Attack) per 10,000 gallons of pool water for 2 days. (This is the step I've completed)
2. On 3rd day, add 3 oz dichlor
3. On 4th day, add 3 oz dichlor

I cleaned the sand out of my filter and decided to run it on recirc setting without any sand until the conversion is complete. Then I'll add brand new sand.

Does anyone out there know if this procedure sounds right?

Thanks,
Deborah

waterbear
06-11-2006, 11:20 AM
all you need is bleach, a test kit, and more bleach. You want to filter out the baquagoo that collects in the filter so don't just recirculate. Keep backwashing the baquagoo out of the filter. Get the chlorine levels up to about 15 ppm and keep them there with bleach. The dichlor is stabilized chlorine and from what I understand the stabilizer will slow the process down. I am not an expert on the conversion but I have read through a lot of them on this forum. The more often you check the chlorine levels and make sure they stay at 15 ppm the faster the conversion will go. The biguinide will eat up the chlorine very fast. Some people have added bleach as often as every 2 hours to keep the levels up and have converted in only a few days that way. If you let the chlorine levels drop it takes longer.

mwsmith2
06-11-2006, 11:39 AM
The oxone shock she told you (the first thing you added) is worthless for a conversion. You got "pool-stored" on that one. 6oz or dichlor for a conversion? Ha Ha Ha ha. Not even close. It's going to take a lot more Cl to take care of the baq. Also be forewarned your pool is going to be gatorade green for a few days, but it will clear.

First steps for you is to read this forum section you posted in. There are many personal accounts and lots of good advice on conversions.

Michael

eyesfinallyopened
06-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Thanks! The more I read last night, the more I began to think that yesterday was a total waste of time so I bought my first supply of bleach and am on my way.

As long as I have the dichlor granules should I try using them during the day with hopes that they'll help with the process during sunlight hours? Or should I simply wait til dusk and go with bleach?

Thanks for your patience. I have no doubt that the bleach works but if I have the granules and they might help I'm willing to use them.

--Deborah

aylad
06-11-2006, 07:28 PM
I would stick with just the bleach until the conversion is complete--you want your Cl to be 100% effective. Also, if possible, you need to add the bleach 2-3 times daily, after testing for Cl, and add whatever amount is needed to get back up to 10-12 ppm. The more often you add, the faster your conversion should go. Save the dichlor for after the conversion is finished and your filter media is changed. By then, you'll need the Cl and the CYA that the dichlor offers.

Janet

eyesfinallyopened
06-11-2006, 11:50 PM
Here's what's happened so far:

Even though the hot AZ sun was beating down, I put in 6 gallons bleach at 2 hour intervals today, never getting a Cl reading but knowing something was happening because of the pea soup I'd created. Had to leave for a party and when I returned at around dusk, I could see the bottom and there was a peachy blanket of precipitate on the bottom with some floating, too. I backwashed, vacuumed to waste and just added another 2 gallons of bleach. Now that I don't have daylight it's hard to tell how dark the cloud is when I add the Cl but I don't think it's as dramatic as those first applications. My latest readings were Ph 7.6, Cl 0, and TA 240. I'm off to buy more bleach so I can keep at it all night.

I'd welcome any suggestions, kudos, or whatever anyone has to offer to keep me on the right track.

Thanks,
Deborah
above ground 10,000 gal fiberglass sectional with vinyl bottom
100 lb sand filter

prh129
06-12-2006, 10:51 AM
You mentioned in your first post that you took the sand out of your filter and were waiting until the conversion was done before you put some back in. I didn't see anyone comment on this but I would think you want some sand in there to filter the goop you will be getting. After the conversion you will need to dump that sand and put in new sand.

Good Luck

Peter

eyesfinallyopened
06-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks, Peter. Yes, I added the sand back in and have been filtering. When I woke up this morning I had yet to get any FC reading but this morning after several liters of ultra I've got it at at least 15-20 ppm which is encouraging. Even though I thought I was prepared for the hideous color, it was still shocking this morning to see the rusty water with tons of peachy baqua-crap floating all over the surface! It's difficult to skim but I'm just doing what I can.

Since I live in AZ and expect the temperature to be 105 degrees today, should I even attempt to keep the FC level up or is that a lost cause? I'm off to buy more ultra bleach but just don't know if it's worth it to try and fight the sun all day . . . Anybody think it might be possible to keep it at that level?

Thanks for all the help,
Deborah

prh129
06-12-2006, 12:16 PM
I would say the longer (and more frequently) you can keep the Cl up the faster the conversion will go. Even though you will be losing some Cl to the sun, some of it will be attacking the Baquacil so just do the best you can.

Hang in there!

Peter

eyesfinallyopened
06-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Okay, I've kept the FC level at 10-20 ppm all day, despite the sizzling AZ sun. It's been a roller-coaster of emotions because it's looked horrible most of the day but actually started looking clearer around 6:30 p.m. and I can now see the bottom drain and the ladder. No more floating junk, either.

Anyone want to venture to guess when I might get the amazing transformation?

Thanks,
Deborah

waterbear
06-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Okay, I've kept the FC level at 10-20 ppm all day, despite the sizzling AZ sun. It's been a roller-coaster of emotions because it's looked horrible most of the day but actually started looking clearer around 6:30 p.m. and I can now see the bottom drain and the ladder. No more floating junk, either.

Anyone want to venture to guess when I might get the amazing transformation?

Thanks,
Deborah
I would have to say that you are well on the way....just keep up the chlorine and keep backwashing the filter!

eyesfinallyopened
06-13-2006, 09:10 AM
This morning I could clearly see the precipitate that I'd missed yesterday on the bottom of the pool when I vacuumed. So, I got that all up and topped up the FC level which had dropped to around 10 between 2:00 a.m. and 5:30 a.m.

Hoping to see some blue later today or tomorrow.

--Deborah

eyesfinallyopened
06-13-2006, 07:33 PM
This is much better but I need just a little more hand-holding before all is said and done.

I'm keeping the FC at 15ppm, brushing sides and bottom, vacuuming, cleaning the sock liner and backwashing frequently. My understanding is that the pool will miraculously change to a beautiful blue color at which time I should change out the sand in my filter and use borax, baking soda and CYA to maintain the correct water readings.

Is there anything else I should be doing right now? I'm starting to wonder if I should go ahead and put fresh sand in the filter. Could the stuff trapped in the sand be hampering the water's ability to get to that pretty blue stage?

Thanks, everyone!
Deborah

VOLDADDY
06-13-2006, 09:36 PM
You don't want to change the sand until all of the Baquacil is destroyed, or you will have to change it again. Hang in there, it took me about 5 days to go from pea green soup to pristine clear water.

eyesfinallyopened
06-14-2006, 08:40 PM
Wow! I'm so happy with my pool and I just want to thank all of you that took the time to help with this process. I'll post some pictures soon in hopes of helping the next poor soul that needs to get rid of the Baquacr$p.

--Deborah

revhendrix
06-14-2006, 09:38 PM
Hi Deb...congrats on completing the process!!! I was happy to read your update. How long did the whole process take and how did the showing go????

-REV