PDA

View Full Version : oxidizer shock

fhorta
08-15-2014, 11:46 PM
I noticed that even keeping chlorine level @ 6-7 ppms my water eventually begins to turn green. I been maintiaing water clear with algaecide called skill-it. I use 7 oz per week. I also got some oxidising shock to give it a boost and my question is that since the oxidizing shck is chlorine free, how would one measure if you reached shocking level as you would normally determine with a kit for chlori ne?

BigDave
08-16-2014, 02:55 AM
I wouldn't use non-chlorine shock, there's no need. Do you know the CYA level? I also wouldn't use that algaecide. Chlorine will do the job if there's enough in relation to the CYA.

CarlD
08-16-2014, 08:38 AM
BD and I are thinking the same thing. Have you always been using Tri-chlor tabs or Di-chlor granules to chlorinate your pool? If you have, you almost CERTAINLY have a very high CYA and a chlorine level of 6-7 isn't going to keep it algae-free.

We don't recommend using non-chlorine sanitizers when the answer for you is very simple:
1) You need to determine your CYA(stabilizer) level. That means you need a good test kit. Our first choice is the Taylor K-2006/K-2006C ( see http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php/14994 )
2) You need to raise your chlorine level (FC--Free Chlorine) to the recommended shock level for your CYA level (which I suspect is over 100ppm). (Use the Best Guess table to determine that:
http://poolsolutions.com/gd/best-guess-swimming-pool-chlorine-chart.html )
3) You need to run your filter/pump 24/7 till you can maintain the shock level for 24 hours, and you need to brush and vacuum your pool to waste every day.

fhorta
08-16-2014, 11:46 AM
Cya is between 70 and 80. Cya has been as low as 50 and after shocking pool water would eventually turn green. I have done the "maintain shock level for 24 hours" methid then maintianing free chlrine 6-7 but eventually starts turning green. The algacide has been the only thing that keeps water clear. When I throw in oxidiser it boosts it. So was just wondering about how to measure the chlorine level or the shocking level, if possible. I have the taylor k 2006 . I run filter 6-8 hours. Its a sand filter. Ph, alkalinity, calcium all are in range according to kit test results. Thanks

BigDave
08-16-2014, 12:14 PM
... the "maintain shock level for 24 hours" ...Not how we recommend shocking here.
Keep FC at or above shock level until one full day after these three criteria: 1)The pool loses less than 1 ppm between sunset and sunrise 2) The pool has 0.5ppm CC or less 3)The water is clear. With CYA 70-80 your FC to chock is 20ppm.

... Ph, alkalinity, calcium all are in range according to kit test results... We can help you better if you give us the numbers.

CarlD
08-16-2014, 03:09 PM
fhorta: You can't really mix and match our advice with others advice if they aren't the same. If you have the K-2006, you simply run the FAS-DPD test using the R-0870 powder and R-0871 drops. You can measure up to 100ppm with it.

If you aren't keeping your FC at shock level (20ppm) as BigDave advises, YOU WILL NOT KILL THE ALGAE!