PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Brite Start Up

rjwatki
08-12-2014, 02:00 PM
Hi there,

We're building a new 32 x 32 pool and we're about a week out from the Diamond Brite Onyx / Midnight blue (going for a pretty dark finish) plaster going on. I've read several places about acid washing / muratic acid / brushing daily etc and it seems each site has a different method.
I've spoken to my pool builder and he really has been no help. He said they don't usually do any type of acid washing. There's a language barrier there which is making this even that much more complicated. Add in the fact that we're completely new to owning a pool and have no idea what the purpose of any of these things. I feel it's also important to note that we really only have two retail pool builders in our area and they are not helpful AT ALL. It's the main reason we chose to go with a much smaller builder. Up until this point we have been very very pleased with his work and attention to detail. He just seems very lax about the startup process and we're very detail oriented people and want to make sure this is done exactly right.

Here are just a FEW of the questions I have:
Does the plaster dry overnight or do we fill it that same day (we live in Arkansas and the temp highs right now are around 92)?
Do they acid wash the plaster when it's applied or pour it in once there is water in the pool? And, what's the purpose of the acid wash?
When do we start the pump?
When do we start the filter?
When do we start the salt chlorinator?
When can we turn the heater on?
I'm assuming we need to test the water at certain times? What type of test kits do we use?
Do we use a nylon, stainless steel or mix brush on diamond brite (every site had a different opinion on this!)
When is it safe to swim?

Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated!
C & R

CarlD
08-13-2014, 06:28 PM
Can't help you with all your questions but I'll try:
Some builders seem to fill the pool immediately after they are done. Not sure how or why--that's for the builder to say.
Usually an acid wash is several years down the road. Is it part of the initial process? I don't know.
You probably should start the pump and filter as soon as the pool is full...ask the builder.
I'd hold off on the salt chlorinator until you have the pool running smoothly on chlorine, because you'll need to add pool salt--unless the builder does that too, in which case you can start right up with the pump and filter.
No idea about the heater.

The BEST test kit is the Taylor Technologies K-2006 or K-2006C kit and the one we recommend. PoolDoc, the owner, has a link in the sig on his posts that gets you the best prices.
But it's also a good idea to go to WalMart and get their HTH 6-way drop-test kit.
You'll probably want to know about test strips. Waste of money. You MAY want to get salt test strips as a backup to your SWCG's own, but that's it.

The right brush is what the builder says, but the one that's safe on vinyl will be safe on your pool too.

I would guess it's safe to swim when all the main tests in the K-2006 come up good.

For long term care, go over to our sister site, poolsolutions.com, and start reading! It's easy to read, and fun!

Watermom
08-13-2014, 07:15 PM
The test kit and salt test strips Carl mentioned can be ordered through this link:> http://pool9.net/tk/

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

(Until your registration is completed, you won't be able to see the rest of the forum or follow links while you are logged in. So, copy the link and paste it into a browser window after you first log out.)

BigDave
08-15-2014, 08:24 AM
I have to give you the same disclaimer as CarlD - I really don't know. That said. my understanding is from reading many posts here and at other internet sites.

I believe pool surfaces are supposed to cure underwater.
Some amount of variance is expected in dark pool colors.
Acid startup is sometimes part of the surface application. If you don't think your builder is following the correct process, check with the material manufacturer. They have a real reason to give you good advice and they've probably done extensive testing on thier product. Outside the manufacturer's website, all the other info you'll find on the Internet is just chatter.

Also the K-2006 will be your best friend - it will free you from pool store shenanigans and give you the confidence of knowing that your pool is clean and safe.

Is your PB suggesting a plan to start the water? You'll need CYA and chlorine. There are other chems you'll proabably need. Let us know how you're going to proceed.

Watermom
08-15-2014, 02:21 PM
If the PB is planning to start up the water, don't let him add anything until you have run it past us first. Sometimes things that you don't want are added which cause problems for your pool chemistry. We may be able to head off some of those problems for you.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!