PDA

View Full Version : Worrisome corners

Leslie
08-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Hello Pool forum,
My family purchased a 12' x 24' x 52" Ultra Frame pool and we have at last begun to put it up. The pool is half full of water, and the rounded corners are worrying us. Two of the corners are compressed, whereas the other two corners are pulling apart but are still one inside the other. The pool material below the closed corners has folded into a pocket. Are we safe to carry on filling or do we need to empty the pool?

Your response is really appreciated!
Leslie S.

BigDave
08-07-2014, 12:01 PM
I don't really know what you mean by compressed and pulling apart.

Is the site level - measured level to within 1"?
Is the soil under the pool compacted or loose?

If it looks to you like the material is being unduly stressed, I'd say you should stop and figure it out.

Leslie
08-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Thanks Big Dave.
The site is level and compacted- we ended up laying a patio on the site so it would be level and easy care.

The material in the compressed corners appear to be folding outward, like a small folded pocket, whereas the joints on the other two corners seem to be expanding and they look stressed. I wasn't sure if it would all expand properly once the water pushes the walls into alignment. I fear that the corners have gone wonky and two of the corners are too big and the other two are too small. They looked good when we started filling, so I had hoped that this was normal. We tried to manipulate the corners but the water weight is too great.

Darn- I wish I didn't need to empty the pool. Maybe I don't need to take all the water out.

BigDave
08-07-2014, 03:49 PM
I really don't know if it's normal or not. It sounds like the site is not level and you are seeing the water move to one side, but really I don't know.

CarlD
08-10-2014, 10:02 AM
It is hard to tell without pictures but if the pressure of the water is pushing the connection at a corner apart, it's probably going to KEEP pushing it apart and fail, I'd guess. I'd call the manufacturer's tech support line.

If two corners are working differently than the other two corners, something, and I have no idea what, is DEFINITELY wrong!