PDA

View Full Version : SWG with AG Galvanized Steel Pool

Gianluca
08-06-2014, 08:44 PM
Hello All,

I really like the idea of having a SWG unit installed. If you go to a pool store to buy a new pool they suggest resin type pools if you want a SWG unit. I read through this thread http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...lt-pools/page1 (which was a good read and shows how smart all that posted are)

I also see it is quite old and was wondering if today we have solid evidence that a SWG will adversely affect galvanized type pools? I see some suggest that bonding is important and that sacrificial zinc anodes help, I really don't want to see my pool rust out. It is about 14 years old with zero rust. Like any pool it must be well balanced and it seems from the tread that corrosion was linked to very high FC and having no CYA. Has this been proven right or wrong?

Thanks

Luca

Gianluca
08-08-2014, 06:10 PM
I guess with no one has an opinion. Mods free to close this thread.

CarlD
08-09-2014, 09:23 AM
Things are busy here. There are lots and lots of posts, and only one admin and two active mods (the other mod is MUCH more active than I am). There is also a team of support people but they cannot move threads out of moderation. So be patient.

I'm not an expert myself on the relationship between SWCG and galvanized metals, but I can tell you from beach experience (just spent a month on the beach) that galvanized metal anything does not hold up well when exposed to salt water, and stainless steel or plastics are the norm for such environments. Even copper piping doesn't stand up well to the salt air environment and that's why beach houses are being plumbed with PVC for cold water and drains and CPVC for hot water. Even outdoor hose bibs have to be made of plastic--as the salt rots everything metallic.

Salt hastens electrolysis, which can eat through most metals other than stainless steel, and even through some types of that as well!

Therefore, I would worry that the salt would be more of a danger to the galvanized walls than the chlorine. Also, many AG manufacturers will void their warranty if you install an SWCG, so that's yet another reason to reconsider.

Gianluca
08-09-2014, 10:04 AM
Thanks Carl

Gave up on the salt system, it seems pretty clear from reading all of what I found that it's a bad idea. I will be going with a stenner pump setup instead.

Luca

CarlD
08-09-2014, 06:17 PM
I have a salt system and any problems I have with it are due to "user error". Otherwise it's great and saves me time (but not money--they don't save you money). It's just that SWCGs and galvanized pools are probably not a good combo.

Watermom
08-16-2014, 10:16 AM
Welcome to the Pool Forum!