PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Ducks!

tysmom
06-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Okay, I have a pair of ducks that swam on my tarp before I removed it and now have made a home in my pool. I do not know what to do to keep them from coming back. We yell and chase them off, I have two dolphins toys and a turtle toy floating in it and nothing scares them. I need some ideas please.

tundraSQ
06-10-2006, 09:21 PM
Okay, I have a pair of ducks that swam on my tarp before I removed it and now have made a home in my pool. I do not know what to do to keep them from coming back. We yell and chase them off, I have two dolphins toys and a turtle toy floating in it and nothing scares them. I need some ideas please.

hmmmmmm.....in the cartoons they used to use a shotgun.:D :D

Poconos
06-10-2006, 09:49 PM
BAD for pool liners !! Got to get them in the air.
Al

bparks
06-10-2006, 11:13 PM
I wish I had an idea for you, but I do hope you find something. We had some ducks nest in my hidh school courtyard some years ago, and the ducklings all died from drinking chlorinated tap water that a science teacher put out.

Let us know how it turns out.

tysmom
06-11-2006, 07:33 AM
This is an above ground pool and I currently have it running it pretty high cholorine b/c it's still cloudy (we haven't been in it yet b/c the temps have been so cool and the water has just now started to clear up.

Before we pulled the cover, the female laid an egg on the deck of the pool!!!! I have been worried about their safety in the cholorine and about our safety with duck poo in our pool:eek: !!!

I couldn't shoot b/c I'd miss and I'd shoot my eye out! :D (besides the fact they're pretty and remind me of my aunt Gladys the way they waddle:p ).

I did find another toy in the garage I've thrown in the pool-- a big pink hippo. Maybe he'll scare them off:confused:

tundraSQ
06-11-2006, 08:42 AM
This is an above ground pool and I currently have it running it pretty high cholorine b/c it's still cloudy (we haven't been in it yet b/c the temps have been so cool and the water has just now started to clear up.

Before we pulled the cover, the female laid an egg on the deck of the pool!!!! I have been worried about their safety in the cholorine and about our safety with duck poo in our pool:eek: !!!

I couldn't shoot b/c I'd miss and I'd shoot my eye out! :D (besides the fact they're pretty and remind me of my aunt Gladys the way they waddle:p ).

I did find another toy in the garage I've thrown in the pool-- a big pink hippo. Maybe he'll scare them off

LMAO...yes I'm sure the big pink Hippo is the missing piece to the puzzle..

just picturing elmer fudd....be vawwy vawwy quiet...we are hunting wabbits....

but if that dosn't work you could try the governments approach to terrorists...LOUD ROCK MUSIC...play it 24/7:D :D

daisy11
06-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Can you borrow a dog from a friend for a few days? It's worth a try.

We have a beach at a local lake that our town uses for swimming. We have had a Canadian Goose problem there for years, and they use dog patrols as well as some sort of goose repellent that they spray on the sand...not sure what it's called.

Call your local environmental protection/wildlife management agency...they may have some sort of solution for you too.

mbar
06-11-2006, 10:25 AM
My sister had a duck that laid eggs on the side of her pool. After the eggs hatched, they left.

tysmom
06-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Well, it's 5:00 pm and so far no ducks...could it be the pink hippo???? :p

The dog idea is worth a try if they come back. However, they seem pretty content to keep swimming in the pool despite my three screaming children running around in the backyard. Maybe they feel safe b/c it's above ground and it has those side thingys on it.

My children broke the egg, despite several warnings not to touch it and it was not in a nest or anything, just right out on my metal pool deck. It almost seemed like an accidental drop ???

Well, see if they stay away through the evening...

tysmom
06-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Okay, either the ducks took my advice and moved to the pond a few miles away or my pink hippo smiling up in the air has scared them off once and for all.

Pool_Mike
06-16-2006, 12:36 PM
Duck meat is really good. :)

Get a BB gun at least and pop'em to let them know they are not welcome'd:mad:

rollinrock
07-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Had three ducks come every Spring for years and play on the cover before we opened the pool. For some reason this year they insisted on floating and crapping in the pool. The lowest powerd Red Ryder BB gun stings them in the ass.They still come around and sit on the house roof but stay out of the pool

les_smith
07-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Try a fake snake or a water fountain that'll keep them wet.