PDA

View Full Version : Working a Sand Filter for the first time

Orion
08-06-2014, 04:47 PM
So as mentioned in another thread, I replaced my old, old DE filter with a newish and much larger sand filter that my pool guy had in storage. I have a 35,000 gallon pool, and apparently the old DE was just to small.

I can tell you that I'm more than pleased with the arrangement. For about $250, I have a new filter, new multi-valve, all new custom PVC piping (including labor). The filter no longer strangles when I need to vacuum, as the old one did.

What I love is not having to dump in pounds of DE every time I need to backwash. But I do realize sand does not filter as well as DE, but I'll take it as a tradeoff.

So to make a long story short, what maint considerations come into play with a sand filter?

Watermom
08-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Not much. Backwash when your pressure rises 8-10psi over clean filter pressure. That's about it.

You can add a little DE to a sand filter to help it filter better. More info here:> http://pool9.net/de-test/

CarlD
08-17-2014, 08:37 AM
If you live in a colder climate where you don't keep the pool open all year, you will have to winterize your filter. Personally, I have quick-connect unions everywhere. So I remove the pump, drain it and put it in my basement. I remove the multivalve, and stow it in the basement too, but first remove the O-ring, lube it, and seal it in a zip-lock bag. I do that with all the O-rings for all the quick-connects as well so the last for years. DO mark each bag with a Sharpie--for obvious reasons.
I remove the drain plug from the bottom of the sand filter, drain it, then cover it with a giant, heavy contractor garbage bag, and duct tape around the neck, base and middle of the tank so the wind doesn't rip it off. I do NOT let any duct tape touch the tank itself, just the bag. I also place a concrete block on top over the opening so snow and ice don't weigh the bag over the opening.

In the spring, I just put everything back together. The O-rings are all lubed and ready be installed, I close the bottom drain on the filter and I'm good to go! Same sand I've had in the tank for 12 years now--you should never need to change it.

BigDave
08-20-2014, 12:28 PM
... I also place a concrete block on top over the opening so snow and ice don't weigh the bag over the opening. ...I use a frisbee - a cheap bank promotion one - under the bag for the same reason.

CarlD
08-20-2014, 09:06 PM
I use a frisbee - a cheap bank promotion one - under the bag for the same reason.

Whatever works! ;)