PDA

View Full Version : Autofill won't shut off

pgershon
08-01-2014, 06:08 PM
I have a Pentair autofill. The float in the autofill keeps getting stuck and filling too much water. I have changed the float at least 10 times this summer, and each week I return and have the same issue. I have inserted a metal trap and a sediment trap into the line to try to stop the small carbon like particles from accumulating in the autofill. This seems to be the problem. I am at a loss though as to what else to do. I use well water and my pool was staining before the metal filter was inserted. The sediment trip may have helped some, but not enough.

PoolDoc
08-02-2014, 06:03 PM
Not to put too fine a point on it . . . your autofill valve is very unlikely to work properly, so long as grit and particles are present in the water. I suppose you could put a 2nd filter, downstream of the filter that's leaking particles (??). Or you could just fill manually.

pgershon
08-02-2014, 06:27 PM
I think I finally (after 6 weeks of stress) figured this thing out. It is not the water inflow that is causing the particles to get into the float assembly. Dirt is coming in through the overflow opening on the autofill when it rains heavily. Took a big storm while I was at the pool over a weekend for me to figure this out. My inflow line is clean, despite what the pool people have been telling me (makes sense as the line is now double filtered, from well to whole house filtration to special pool-centric metal trap and sediment trap. If rest of house gets clean water, never made sense for pool water to be bad, especially when garden hose (unfiltered water) seemed cleaner than the autofill generated water. All the metal in the pool must be coming from the soil bed that the autofill sits in. Key indicator was dirt in the pipes that feed from autofill to pool and spa.

Now if I could only get back the hundreds of dollars spent on metal trap etc...

PoolDoc
08-02-2014, 11:22 PM
Now if I could only get back the hundreds of dollars spent on metal trap etc...

Sorry!