PDA

View Full Version : Vacuuming Problems

MaxxFusion
06-10-2006, 02:18 PM
I installed my AG pool at the end of last season and haven't been able to get the vacuuming down. I hook up my hose in my skimmer basket and start to vacuum but it just doesn't have the suction power. I have a Hayward 1.5hp pump. As soon as I hookup the hose you can see in the bubble cove on the pump that the water isn't flowing in as quick anymore. I am afraid I will ruin my pump. What am I doing wrong. Now when I got the pool the skimmer came with this insert that the hose attaches to to cover the basket. Is that maybe not air tight and causing my problem?

I got Diver Dave hoping this would help with my problems. I got him for other reasons as well. One thing I didn't try was take my basket out and use the rubber cone that came with Diver Dave and put it directly in the skimmer. The only problem is I cant twist my basket to get it out for some reason. I am thinking about cutting the basket and buying a new one.

Any one have any ideas?

Thanks

CarlD
06-10-2006, 02:33 PM
Stupid questions:
Are you filling the vacuum hose with water and purging it of air BEFORE you plug it in the skimmer?
Do you keep the end of the hose under water until it's plugged in?

The easiest way to fill the vacuum with water is to hold then end of the hose in front of the return and let it push all the air out causing the head and the hose to sink. Keep it there until all bubbles are gone.

Air the vacuum line is hard on the pump and reduces suction.

duraleigh
06-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Sounds like you're losing prime.

Hold the end of the vacuum hose in front of a return line, pushing all the air out of the hose.

Then, don't let any air back in to the hose and hook it up to the skimmer. You may still get some air in the pump basket but it will prime more easily. It's okay to let the pump run for a few minutes with air in the basket.

You should see a steadily increasing water flow (in the pump basket) until the prime is complete.

MaxxFusion
06-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Thanks so much guys. That did the trick. I love this forum. It took a couple tries to get it right but Diver Dave is now cleaning the pool. :)

Do you have any suggestions about the basket? I cant budge it. It looks like it should twist a little so I can pop it out but I cant twist it. I bought some of the skimmer socks to try out but if I cant get the basket out they do me no good. The pollen is especially bad right now and I want to try to save the filter. I was think if I cant get it out any other way I would cut the basket away and pick a new one up for the pool store assuming I can get one without buying a whole new skimmer.

thanks for the help.
Frank