PDA

View Full Version : Endless Pool Hydraulic Oil Filter

dogmom58
07-31-2014, 11:43 AM
Is there a substitute or crossover filter I can use instead of ordering one from EPI? It looks like a regular automobile filter (except it has EPI written on it). It is a spin-on type filter.

Thanks!

PoolDoc
07-31-2014, 02:54 PM
Unfortunately, that's not a question for which I have an answer, nor is it one Endless Pool is likely to help with.

However, if you locate an industrial hydraulic supply house, you may well be able to get those answers. (A tractor or heavy equipment mechanic can probably tell you where the closest supply is.). Once you find one, take the filter, the oil can, photos of the motor, and your EP manual with you. My guess is, all 3 of those -- filter, motor, & oil -- are standard, if you can just find them.

And, if you succeed, please post back what you find. Others have asked some variant of this question, but I don't believe we've ever had a reported answer.

dogmom58
07-31-2014, 04:19 PM
Well, I got out and looked at the pump label. It is a Baldor Industrial Motor, from Baldor Electric Co., Ft. Smith, AR.
I got the specs off the label and have sent them in to the company to see if they have an answer. I browsed their site and can't find my EXACT specs (and the label has a place for CATALOG NO. but of course, it is blank). Since mine is a 2002 model, they may not have it on their website anymore, but they should have info if they sold this unit in the past.

PoolDoc
07-31-2014, 04:55 PM
Thanks.

Believe me, if you can run this down you'll help quite a few people over the next few years, and I promise not to tell EP your real name or email address ;) .

Pappy
07-31-2014, 07:29 PM
Having worked in hydraulics for several years, I can tell you that there are only a hand full of filter manufacturers, and almost NO truly "specialized" filters. It may take some chasing to find the right one, but I'll bet EPI just has a standard filter branded with their name.

Good luck!

Pappy

CarlD
08-26-2014, 09:30 AM
I'm wondering if their hydro fluid is any different than what's used in snow plows and bulldozers. Of course, I doubt you have many plows in Mississippi....but they are pretty common up here. I keep a small Fischer "Homesteader" for my driveway and keep fluid around for it.

PoolDoc
08-27-2014, 07:52 AM
They use a biodegradable hydraulic oil. I don't know if this is due to an effort to 'be green', or if the bio-oil is less likely to foul the pool if something leaks.

CarlD
08-27-2014, 08:41 AM
Biodegradable hydraulic oil? Wouldn't that need to be replaced VERY frequently? I wonder if it's some sort of vegetable oil like castor oil or corn oil.

dogmom58
08-30-2014, 10:17 PM
According to the spec sheet, we should not have to replace the oil for 3 years. We are using Mobil EAL 224H biodegradable. OF COURSE, it supposedly won't last as long in a hot climate (we just finished 17 consecutive days over 90 degrees - it rained today so it only got to 85... steambath anyone?).

I never heard back from Baldor via email. I'll see if I can call them Monday (if I can remember).