PDA

View Full Version : Intex 20x52, cloudy after adding phosphate

Lauranmark
07-30-2014, 09:48 PM
It is a new pool, and the ph strips all looked normal to me. The wife said it was suggested we take a sample to the store, so i took a sample of water to Leslie pools and the guy gave me a list of 5 chemicals to add, one of which we had. Everything seemed to go ok until i added the phosfree? Pool got cloudy and the stuff eventually settles to the bottom. It has been over a week with little change. Going to try to vac it out Friday once i buy one. Shame on me for not asking enough questions or trusting my judgement. I think i was duped in buying stuff i didnt need.

Watermom
08-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Hi and welcome to the Pool Forum!

Any progress?

You need a good test kit so you can do your own testing. Test strips don't count.

The test kit that we think is by far the best is the Taylor K2006 or 2006C (better buy). Not available locally but you can get it through this link that takes you to Amazon: http://pool9.net/tk/

But, in the meantime, go to Walmart and see if they have the HTH 6-Way drops-based kit (no test strips!) and get that. If they don't, get an OTO/Phenol Red kit (yellow and red drops) instead. Use it to test and then post your numbers. Also while you are at WallyWorld, get several jugs of their generic 8.25% bleach, a couple of boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax (laundry aisle) and a gallon of distilled water.

Repost with requested info and then someone here can try and help you.

(Until you registration is completed, you won't be able to see the rest of the forum while you are logged in. So, copy that link and then paste it into a browser window after you log out.)

PoolDoc
08-02-2014, 05:38 PM
Membership updated.

There are several facts you need to keep in mind about using phosphate removers:

1. They are utterly useless, unless you are able to lower the PO4 level below 0.125 ppm (125 ppb). Lowering the phosphate level from 5,000 ppb (5 ppm) to 1,000 ppb (1 ppm) accomplishes nothing.

2. PO4 testkits aren't great. It's difficult to determine what you original PO4 levels are (5 ppm or 2 ppm?). They are only helpful once you begin to get close to the target (less than 0.125 ppm).

3. Most city water has phosphates present to protect the piping. Thus you must add PO4 remover EVERY time you add water.

4. A low PO4 level does NOT kill algae: it only makes it EASIER to kill algae. If you aren't managing your chlorine, pH, and CYA levels properly . . using a phosphate remover won't help.