PDA

View Full Version : pH up: when to add

The Mermaid
06-10-2006, 11:42 AM
My pH is a little on the high side. It normally stays around 7.5, but sometimes it starts creeping up close to 7.8. I have some pH down to fix it, but wanted to know if it was OK to put it in at night when I add my chlorine. Or is it best to space things out. I wanted to put it in now, but I want to swim in a couple of hours. I'm thinking that might be dangerous though b/c I don't know how long it will take to become completely diluted in the water. Any advise? When do you normally add this stuff?

Oops, edited to add my other info, not sure if it is all relevant to the question though:

pool is AG 28ft w/dished out deep center, approx 22,000 ga.

Using BBB methods :D

FC 6
CC 0
TC 6
pH in between 7.5 and 7.8
TA 100
CAL 190 (vinyl liner though, so irrelevant)
CYA 35 - 40
temp 81

JohnT
06-10-2006, 12:11 PM
pH up will raise the pH. Add pH down or muriatic acid to lower it. I usually add pH changing chemicals in the morning and chlorine in the evening. That's just my routine, and it works out for water testing at about 12hr increments when I'm trying to move the pH. I at least wait a couple of hours after adding pH moving chemicals before adding bleach, but I don't know if there's any validity to my strategy.

The Mermaid
06-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Geez, thank you for pointing out my silly mistake. I actually do have "pH down" not "up." Don't know why I mis-typed. Brain fart???? Anyway, thanks for replying. I'm thinking it's not good to add a bunch of different stuff at one time, but hubby says "they exist in the water all together at the same time." Not sure I'm on board with his theory though.

CarlD
06-10-2006, 12:23 PM
FYI: pH Up is a VERY expensive packaging of soda ash (sodium carbonate). It's sold in grocery stores as washing soda as well.

Alternatively, you can use 20 Mule Team Borax from the grocery store to raise pH. It has fewer side effects than soda ash, and is safer to handle.

pH Down is a VERY expensive packaging of dry acid--can't remember the chem name but there are lots of generic brands of dry acid. Or you can use muriatic (hydrochloric) acid, available at most hardware and tile stores.

Total Alkalinity Raiser is a very, VERY expensive packaging of ....BAKING SODA! That's right, it's the same as Arm&Hammer sodium bicarbonate.

"Liquid Chlorine" is usually the same as ultra bleach or a double strength version of ultra bleach. Sometimes it's more expensive than bleach, sometimes cheaper. But you can ALWAYS use ordinary bleach.

See? We just saved you a TON of money going forward!

waterbear
06-10-2006, 06:42 PM
FYI:

pH Down is a VERY expensive packaging of dry acid--can't remember the chem name but there are lots of generic brands of dry acid. Or you can use muriatic (hydrochloric) acid, available at most hardware and tile stores.

Sodium Bisulfate is the ingredient.

CarlD
06-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Sodium Bisulfate is the ingredient.

Thanks, Evan. I went blank on it and was too lazy to look it up!;)

The Mermaid
06-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Thanks everyone. I am a BBB method convert as of last summer and I'm glad to say that I have indeed saved a lot of money, but mostly I'm just happy that my pool is always pristine and it is much easier to take care of now. Also I feel confident taking care of it now and am no longer at the mercy of others when it comes to chemicals. I owe that to all the info available on this site. Anyway, I just happened to have some pH down and was wanting to use it up. I just didn't know if you should wait a certain time before using if after adding bleach. But I just saw a post in another section of the forum about how dangerous it is to mix chlorine and acid, so I'm guessing it is best to space them out a bit. And that's what I've done. I loooooove this forum (learned so much) and Ben's test kit rocks!!! Going swimming now. Woohooo!!!