PDA

View Full Version : CPVC versus PVC

eljefe281
06-10-2006, 10:45 AM
I am seeking feedback on the use of CPVC rather than PVC for underground piping (not aboveground piping!) in water service in a pool/spa with a salt water chlorine generator.

I believe CPVC exhibits better chemical resistance to acids and salts than does PVC.

Your opinions are very much appreciated.

cleancloths
06-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Very true, but probably overkill for swimming pool water. When I was in the chemical industry we used cpvc exclusively for everything it could handle except plain water. You can use it for the pool, but it will cost more.

Poolsean
06-12-2006, 12:02 AM
Agreed, it's not worth the xtra cost. CPVC is also more heat resistant and use to be used for gas heater stubouts.

Poconos
06-12-2006, 09:36 AM
CPVC needs to be used for hot water piping. PVC starts getting soft well below the boiling point of water. Not sure at what temp. I read on this forum somewhere a long ago that some people use it for a couple feet close to a pool heater interface so there is a reduced chance of softening if the flow is stopped while the heater is on and before the interlocks kick it off. An unnecessary overkill for your application.
Al