PDA

View Full Version : What Went Wrong?

CoffeeBean
06-10-2006, 09:43 AM
Can someone tell me why I got so much more green gunk algae this year when 1) I dumped the recommended (by Ben) amount of Polyquat in the pool last fall which I've never done before 2) I had all the #s right on and shocked it just before putting the cover on it?

I've spoken to several locals who gleefully tell me how crystal their water was when they uncovered. And I thought I was doing the "right" thing to avoid the mess I have.

Insight gratefully accepted so I don't repeat this mess next year.

Thanks.

CoffeeBean

tundraSQ
06-10-2006, 10:03 AM
I would start here....I think it would be the warm weather and lack of filter and FC, compounded by the mesh cover letting organic matter get into your pool. Plus it would seem you had warm weather and no FC for at least a couple months brewing underthat cover. I try and get my cover off as soon as i can and get the filter going and stabalize the FC once the water gets above 50 degrees.

just took the cover off of our 16X32 AG pool (with vinyl liner and 6.5 deep end) and YUCK! Last year was green but with the help of Ben's kit and the advice here I got it cleared up and running. I put it "to bed" for the winter using Ben's advice for winterizing and used the typical black woven pool cover. It was a mild winter here in western PA and April was untypically warm. I probably should've taken the cover off then but knew the weather wouldn't stay that way. I think that cover is awful. It seems to let all the blowing dirt drift right down into the pool.

CoffeeBean
06-10-2006, 12:12 PM
I sort of figured that might have been the combination. I guess I just have to start much earlier next year.

We bought a solid cover for it but never had the time to install the deck anchors last fall. You can bet we will this year!

Thanks.

CoffeeBean

CarlD
06-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Like Tundra, I'm looking and thinking about opening as soon as the ice melts off my pool. I get the first part of opening done by mid April --getting the cover off, the filter running and cleaning the bottom. I let things like the ladder and drop-in steps go. As soon as the water is into the 50's you can expect algae to be in your future if you don't get chlorine in soon. Other people have different strategies, like an auxiliary pump to circulate the water then (even if it's not filtered) just to get the chlorine up.

Get chlorine in before the water has a chance to grow algae and you are OK.

JohnT
06-10-2006, 12:29 PM
No doubt you opened too late. I had to start my filter and add chlorine around the first of April this year. Water temp got into the low 60s and air temp was in the 80s. Earlier than usual by a couple of weeks, but you have to chlorinate before the swimming season to control algae.

mbar
06-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Why does it bother you so much?, I opened my pool late - had a lot of algae, but the pool cleared up in 2 days - to me it was worth not having to bother with cleaning all of the stuff that falls from the trees, and all of the extra electricity & chemicals it takes to run the pool while no one is swimming in it. You have to balance out what works best for you.

CoffeeBean
06-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Well, I can agree with you in part about cleaning up what falls from the trees in the spring and the increase in electricity.

However, I have to balance that out with the fact that I used mega gallons of water to vacuum to waste to get the dead algae out. It's so fine that I can't use the hose vacuum. It just stirs it up and forms big clouds of crud because it goes right through the vac bag.

Our water use it tied to our sewer bill here. Use a bunch of water, pay for it in the sewer bill too. They will give you a minor credit if you call them and tell them you're filling a pool but it's not much and they won't budge on increasing it.

And...the walls of my pool this year are now green/brown. Scrubbing isn't getting it off. Any suggestions gratefully accepted on how to remove it.

CoffeeBean

mbar
06-10-2006, 08:13 PM
I can see your point! I have a well, and never have to worry about running out of water, so it didn't enter my mind. The stains on your liner are probably from organics and will fade out with the high chlorine levels - they won't come off with regular scrubbing - the way you can tell if they are organic is if they rub off with some chlorine. If they are metal they will come off with Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) or ph down. You can crush them in a sock and rub them on the stain. My guess is they are organic from the stuff lying on the liner and it will take a couple of days for them to fade. As they say "patience in a virtue" Best of luck, let me know if the stains don't fade.