PDA

View Full Version : Cinder Block Pool

dawgs25
07-23-2014, 07:54 PM
After hours and hours of research, I hope that someone here has had the same issue and can shed some light. The short version is, I bought a house (foreclosure) that has a homemade cinder block pool. In "OK" shape, but needs some tlc and recoated/painted etc. The water table is high in my area, so with the pool drained, water leaks through the walls (cracks), only a few spots. Even if it doesn't rain for several days, it is still wet.

How am I to recoat the pool with ground water coming through? Is there a product that can be applied to a wet area and with a fast set time? Through my endless google searches, there are a lot of products specifically for underground concrete repair (pools, aquariums, ponds, dams). Any advice? thanks

seapea
07-24-2014, 01:58 PM
A few years ago I had a job finding leaks in swimming pools and I worked on a couple of cinder block pools. Both of them were leaking through the blocks and through cracks in the mortar joints. The owners attempted to solve the problems with hydraulic cements and various sealants and they were successful for a short period of time. One of them ended up filling the pool in and the other hung a liner in it and is still using his pool today.

Not sure about a cinder block pool but the rule of thumb is to be careful with an empty pool and a high water table - the pool can "float". Check to see if you have a hydrostatic valve in the drain - it's designed to spring open and let water into the pool to stop it floating.

Watermom
07-24-2014, 02:09 PM
@seapea ----- are you still in the pool biz?

seapea
07-24-2014, 02:12 PM
No, I sold my business (American Leak Detection franchise) about 5 years ago.

Watermom
07-24-2014, 02:23 PM
@seapea ---Ok. Just wondered. Thanks for replying back to me.

@dawgs25 --- Sorry I can't help on this one but wanted to welcome you to the Pool Forum!