PDA

View Full Version : Iron In My Water

Phenom300
07-21-2014, 06:45 PM
I accidentally left my well water run into my pool overnight several nights ago. I awoke to a mess of brownish green metallic water. I immediately treated the water with about 70 ounces of Hydroxyethylidene Disphosphonic Acid Acid (HTH Metal Control). I ran the pump 24/7 and within hours things were getting better and as of last night my pool was once again crystal clear. I shut the pump off. Today I get home from work and Whamo, the metal is back and the pool looks like crap. What can you offer up for help? I did put towels in the pool and a washcloth in the skimmer, all grabbed a bunch of iron. When I backwash, lots of brownish water is removed.

TC 4.0
FC 4.0
PH 7.8
CYA 80
TA 130

Phenom300
07-24-2014, 03:49 PM
Update. I added 32 more ounces of HTH Metal control and ran the pump 24/7 again. The water is back to being crystal clear again after 2 days. If someone has any information on this please offer it up. Also, a lesson leared is that this metal control is an acid so it kills your PH. I am in the process of aerating to bring it back up.

BigDave
08-13-2014, 12:37 PM
If you're not trying to reduce TA, you can just add Borax to raise pH. Be careful, raising the pH can make the metal come out of solution.

The HEDP keeps metals in solution but doesn't remove them. CuLater packets seem to remove metals slowly. PoolDoc has been recommending an approach to metal removal that involves encouraging the metal to come out of solution onto the filter by putting cal-hypo tabs in the skimmer, creating a high chlorine, high pH area before the filter. He's away for a while but is you search others iron in water threads you might be able to get the idea.

FormerBromineUser
08-16-2014, 08:18 PM
PoolDoc had me use this process and I am now metal-free. The only difference was that I used cal-hypo in granular form. Worked a treat!