PDA

View Full Version : Algicide 60%

CUTURHAIR
06-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Ok, I got some Algicide 60%, non foaming at Home Depot today. It was under $17.00, so better than pool store prices, but much higher than Leslie's special online!

Anyway, it says to add when residual chlorine levels are 1-3 ppm. Well, I am running shock values of 15 ppm as constantly as I can for the mustard algae.

So, is it ok to add it with chlorine at 15ppm?

I guess it is the right stuff?? I thought it was blue from previous years, but this is golden colored. It has the 60% Poly (oxyethylene [dimethyliminio] ethylene [dimethyliminio] ethylene dichloride, and 40% other ingredients. Sounds right to me, but let me know if it isn't, BEFORE I use it TONIGHT!!

I have to get it in tonight, before leaving in the morning.

It says to add 11-17 ounces/10,000 gallons, so I will put in about 19 ounces for my 11,200 gallons. Does that sound cool??

If someone can answer this ASAP, that will be great! I just need confirmation, before doing something wrong!

Thanks,
John

JohnInSoCal
06-09-2006, 09:38 PM
that is the polyquat 60, I bought mine at lowes for $15. I have read in several places on line to shock and use algecide to get rid of mustard algae. I am doing the exact same thing as you right now. Got chlorine up to 16-20, put in the polyquat and brushing, cleaning filter, vacum, etc. I guess I will know in a few days if it worked or not.

If polyquat is less effective in high chlorine then I guess I messed up, not sure if it is or not. I think I read somewhere on this forum that people have shocked and dumped in the polyquat and it got rid of their mustard problem so hopefully it works for me as well.

This mustard algae is incredible and seems to like the shade. Chlorine has little to no effect on this stuff. I have walls that get shade all day long and this is where it thrives. If this fails I guess the only step left is to drain pool and acid wash.

I'll let you know what happens.

good luck

CUTURHAIR
06-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Yep, this mustard algae has been my biggest fight in 5 seasons, no doubt! My pool gets a LOT of sun, so I am not having to deal with the shady problems.

Anyway, good luck to you!

John, in Raleigh

CUTURHAIR
06-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Ok, I am on my way out the door for the week, but before I go, I wanted to add this post. I added my polyquat 60%, the whole quart last night. I lost about 6ppm's of chlorine overnight, which is odd, as lately, it has been .5 to no more than 2ppm's lost overnight. I tested my CYA, which was finally looking to be over 30, but I could tell as I was pouring it into the tester, that it wasn't as cloudy. So, can the polyquat change CYA? I have never heard of that, but I can't understand what would have caused the big loss overnight, and then again around 1:30 today, I had lost a good bit more ppm's. So, I added another 10 ounces of stabilizer, erring on the cautious side.
Any ideas why I am suddenly having more loss of ppm's since the addition of polyquat?

The pool is very clean, and I hardly saw any must algae on the floor of the pool this morning, so I am just totally confused.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated, now that it is in the hands of my roommate, who is clueless with pool stuff!

Thanks!
John (scared to leave town now!)

poolrx
06-11-2006, 01:06 AM
John,

Poly 60 should have no effect on CYA. Don't know why the cl levels dropped unless along with the poly 60 the cl is killing off the rest of the algae. My levels fluctuated until the algae was gone. If you had a hot sunny day it will drop your cl quickly. The 10 ozs of stablizer should help prevent that.

Joe

tundraSQ
06-11-2006, 07:04 AM
It has been posted in here many times that the Polyquat WILL drop the FC level, so you will need to compensate for that.

poolrx
06-11-2006, 10:06 AM
It has been posted in here many times that the Polyquat WILL drop the FC level, so you will need to compensate for that.

Didn't know that:confused:

Always went by Ben's notes regarding poly 60 "Generally, higher chlorine is the best way to control or kill algae. But, occasionally, an algaecide can help. There's really only one product that you can use without risking some rather nasty side effects, including pool stains, green hair, problems with combined chlorine, or disappearing chlorine, and so one. "

I haven't had a problem with it dropping fc levels, but I normally only use 3-4 ounces a week. When using the larger amounts a few yrs ago dealing with the algae I just attributed the lost of cl to fighting the algae.

ytngt
06-11-2006, 03:41 PM
I never noticed a drop in FC associated with Poly but anything is possible.

I use Poly as a prevenative measure so there is not an algae bloom when I am adding it. That might be why I don't notice any perceivable cahnge in FC after adding Polyquat.