PDA

View Full Version : PS233 test kit and CYA test question

mshumack
04-01-2006, 08:33 AM
I am using the PS233 kit for the first time and I want to be sure that I am doing the CYA test correctly.

The instructions say to use the #9194 dispensing bottle. I assume that is the small bottle with the squirt top since it is marked "pool water fill line" and CYA reagent fill line". There are no part numbers on the containers/bottles.

In step one, the instructions say to fill the bottle to the 15ml mark with R-0013, but the bottle has no such mark. None of the measured containers have a 15ml mark.

Step two says to fill the bottle to the neck (just below cap threads) with pool water.

On my bottle the first line is "pool water fill line" and next line up is "CYA reagent fill line", so I filled the bottle with pool water to the first line than added the reagent to the second (higher) line. I then put this mixture into the CA view tube. .

It would seem that I am doing the opposite of the instructions as I am adding pool water first (possibly first mark is 15ml) than topping off with the R-0013 Reagent. The way I am doing the test shows no CYA in the water at all.

However, this may be expected since this is a new gunite pool and no chemicals have been added yet. I'll ask about my specific readings on a separate post. Am I doing the test correctly?

Thanks.

waterbear
04-01-2006, 08:48 AM
It really does not matter if you add the reagent first or the pool water first. Probably easier to add the reagent last since it is in a dispenser bottle and easier to control the amount you put in. The important thing to do is shake the bottle for about thirty seconds to mix the two, let it sit for a minute or two, shake again to disperse the precipitate, and then slowly add to the CYA test tube until the black dot just disappears. Hold the tube around waist level and be in a shaded area for the most accurate reading for this test. And yes, it is the little plastic bottle with the squirt top! The only way to really screw up this test is to not give it time for the cloudiness to develop.

Btw, if no chemicals have been added to the pool you SHOULD get a reading showing no CYA!

mshumack
04-04-2006, 06:44 PM
I'm still confused. Not about whether to add the water or reagent first but as to how much of each.

The first line on the bottle says "pool water fill line". That would mean add 15ml of pool water first.

The second line says "CYA reagent fill line". That would mean add 30ml of reagent.

Is this correct? The instructions on the test kit lid says "add 15ml of CYA Reagent ..." then fill to top with pool water".

One method is 1/3 water. The other way is 1/3 reagent. Which is it?

Sorry if I'm dense on this - I want to make sure I understand correctly.
Thanks

DavidD
04-04-2006, 07:47 PM
You're thinking too much.
Fill up to the first line with pool water.
Add CYA reagent until level of liquid (H2O+reagent) gets to top line.
Shake then wait at least 30 seconds.
Fill CYA test tube at waist level until black dot completely disappears while looking in from the top.
It seems that you were doing it correctly in the begining. You may not have any CYA. What was it last year when you closed?

Watermom
04-04-2006, 11:26 PM
Equal parts of pool water and cya reagent.

Watermom

waterbear
04-04-2006, 11:37 PM
I'm still confused. Not about whether to add the water or reagent first but as to how much of each.

The first line on the bottle says "pool water fill line". That would mean add 15ml of pool water first.
Correct!

The second line says "CYA reagent fill line". That would mean add 30ml of reagent.
No, you already have 15 ml of pool water in the bottle. If you now fill the bottle to the second line with reagent you will be adding 15 ml of reagent for a total of 30 ml liquid in the bottle!
Is this correct? The instructions on the test kit lid says "add 15ml of CYA Reagent ..." then fill to top with pool water".

One method is 1/3 water. The other way is 1/3 reagent. Which is it?
One method is 1/2 water. The other way is 1/2 reagent. they are exactly the same.
Sorry if I'm dense on this - I want to make sure I understand correctly.
Thanks

Hope this clears it up for you!:D

mshumack
04-05-2006, 06:13 AM
Thanks. I did not realize that it was an equal mixture of reagent and water.

scarywoody
06-06-2006, 10:22 PM
sorry to beat this dead horse, but the directions on the box of the ps223 are wrong? this confused me too.

It does say
fill R013 reagent to 15ml mark----first line in the bottle.
"Step two says to fill the bottle to the neck (just below cap threads) with pool water."
It makes no mention of the 2nd line that says fill with pool water.

So do I follow the box or what i'm reading here and dothe 1/2-1/2?

waterbear
06-06-2006, 10:28 PM
fill to the second fill line.