PDA

View Full Version : Pump & Filter requirements for new pool

phayungs
07-15-2014, 01:50 PM
We're about a month away from getting our new pool installed. We're getting a Radiant Metric 18' x' 34' oval, w/52" sidewalls, 6.5' deep end, partially buried. If my math is right, I think that's about 19500 gallons. I'm going with a cartridge filter system, as well. Having read through your forum for the last couple weeks, it seems that dealers don't always sell you the correct equipment for your pool's needs. Either because they don't know any better or they think we won't know any better. Well, that got me wondering what pump and cartridge I was actually buying, so I called to ask. When I asked what the flow-rate of the pump was, their response was "it's a 2hp pump". I then asked what's the GPM rating on the pump. They did not know and would have to look into that and get back to me. They did call back later and said it's rated at 75gpm. I asked what the sq ft area of the cartridge was, they said 300sq ft, but that seems high, so not sure if that's correct. Bottom line is, I'd like to make sure whatever pump/cartridge combo we get is right-sized for our needs. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

BigDave
07-15-2014, 02:17 PM
Will they give you manufacturer and model numbers?

PoolDoc
07-16-2014, 07:55 PM
. . . membership updated.

I'm not clear -- do you have the option to change your pump and filter? If not, it's more a matter of finding out how to make what you get work.

phayungs
07-17-2014, 03:41 PM
Yes, the dealer has mentioned that there are other pumps / filters that I could get, if I would like. I don't know yet, what those options actually are. I will try and get details (such as manufacturer & model numbers) of the pumps and filters that are available. I don't believe that they are trying to "pull a fast one over me", I just don't think anyone has challenged what equipment they're offering before. Stay tuned...

PoolDoc
07-17-2014, 04:05 PM
I just don't think anyone has challenged what equipment they're offering before.

We do a LOT of that, here. ;)