PDA

View Full Version : New User - Zeolite sand?

azwaterdog
07-15-2014, 11:35 AM
Just adding my first post to the forum. I have a 25,000 gallon pool, still with the original plaster. It's currently running a Triton II TR100 sand filter.

I signed up for the forum to do a search on the what people thought of Zeosand. I'm sure there are posts here about it but I couldn't search until I registered and posted, so I figured I'd ask.

My filter is currently using Zeo but I'm considering replacing with the regular sand this summer. I can't say I've had a bad experience with this but I haven't tried regular sand.

BigDave
07-15-2014, 04:25 PM
As I recall, one of the mods here had Zeo at some point. By my recollection, the experience was much like regular sand. You can use this link http://pool9.net/search/ (http://pool9.net/search/) to do a custom google search for for zeo posts. As a trial user, you'll have to log out to see the rest of the forum. Copy the URL and then paste it into your browser after logging out.

Watermom
07-15-2014, 05:26 PM
i think the consensus over the years is that Zeo is no better than sand. And Dave, you are remembering correctly. Aylad did try zeo at one point. Not sure if she still uses it or not.

azwaterdog
07-15-2014, 07:38 PM
Thanks to both of you. Really appreciate your informed opinion.

I think I'm going to switch back to regular sand. Your thoughts concur with what I heard from a Leslie's store manager just the other day and the extra cost of the Zeo just doesn't seem worth it.

Watermom
07-16-2014, 08:25 AM
I think you are making a good decision. Be sure to buy labeled pool filter sand but don't buy Quikrete's pool sand. Not good.

azwaterdog
07-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Thank you for that tip!

One more quick item - Leslie's has said a couple times that the life span of Zeosand is about five years. I'm going on seven or eight right now. While we were on vacation some algae developed and the pool is very slow to recover, which is why I'm planning on replacing the Zeo this weekend. I guess what I'm asking is do you think the five year life span of Zeo is accurate?

I read another thread or two here where someone said they've had regular sand in their filter for over ten years. Obviously that is different than Zeo, but I just want to make sure I address the problem with the sand change. I've have done a salt water recharge the past two summers with some success but it seems like less and less each time. Haven't tried that yet this summer. Thanks!

PoolDoc
07-16-2014, 01:53 PM
We've never seen any evidence that sand had a life expectancy, unless you do something to mess it up, like use Baquacil. Dealers have an URGE to replace it, for $$. But I've removed sampled sand from 40 year old ginormous commercial filters that had been in continuous service for that entire time, and seen NO reason to replace the sand.

. . . membership updated.

azwaterdog
07-16-2014, 02:06 PM
Thanks PoolDoc. Have you heard anything about a lifespan on Zeosand? I have eight year old Zeo in there now from a previous pool guy, but am hoping a swap to regular silica sand will fix my issue.

PoolDoc
07-16-2014, 04:51 PM
Haven't heard one way or the other.

What is your "issue"?