PDA

View Full Version : Algaecide Overdose

bc9nd3h
06-09-2006, 06:55 PM
I recently hired a company to open my pool and the guys inadvertantly added 4X the recommended amount of Blue Shield Black Algae Eliminator. I figured this out after trying to determine why my pool started foaming and I couldn't get my FC up to any detectable level. After reading many of the threads in here I now realize that the algaecide was not even necesary. My question now is how I can clear out the algaecide?

tundraSQ
06-09-2006, 07:00 PM
I recently hired a company to open my pool and the guys inadvertantly added 4X the recommended amount of Blue Shield Black Algae Eliminator. I figured this out after trying to determine why my pool started foaming and I couldn't get my FC up to any detectable level. After reading many of the threads in here I now realize that the algaecide was not even necesary. My question now is how I can clear out the algaecide?

I would not do a thing..I would make the "professionals" get it out....

no maybe they have done enough huh? Do you know what was in the stuff they added to your pool? I got this:
http://www.scorecard.org/chemical-profiles/product.tcl?reg_nr=02126800003&prod_name=BLUE%20SHIELD%20BLACK%20ALGAE%20ELIMINAT OR

How much did they put in and how big of a pool do you have?

bc9nd3h
06-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Yeah, I don't think I can take anymore of there help. My pool is an AG 18' round 4.5' deep. It's about 8000 gals. They put in a full quart of the stuff and that should be enough for 25,000 gals according to the label. The ingredients listed on the label are

n-Alkyl (60% C14, 30% C16, 5% C12, 5% C18) dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride ....39.84%
N-Dialkyl (60%C14, 30%C16, 5%C12, 5%C18) methyl benzyl ammonium chloride ....0.16%
Inert Ingrediants ....60%

tundraSQ
06-09-2006, 07:37 PM
And you are adding clorox to try and build FC? I would keep that up and I am sure someone will be along shortly to offer up there expertize. It does not sound like you are in to much trouble. Mybe post your test numbers to allow people to make sugestions.

bc9nd3h
06-09-2006, 08:34 PM
These readings are from test strips. I only now have found out how unreliable these are. Planning on ordering one of the PS234 kits but I see there seems to be some problems. Only just started reading this forum and didn't know about the whole clorax thing. Will start using that when I can get to the store to buy it. Right now I'm using HTH 3" pucks. I hadn't tried shocking since right after pool was opened, Didn't now what was wrong and I didn't want to make it worse.

pH 7.0
FC 0
ALK 100
CYA 50

tundraSQ
06-09-2006, 09:10 PM
I would just keep addign clorox...you don't want to have a "0" FC...at least get it to register....I would add 3 gallons....and measure in an hour...and again in 3 hours.

bc9nd3h
06-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Curent problem is I don't have much clorox on hand and won't be able to pick it up for a few days. Do you think I could just add some calcium hypochlorite until then. By the way, is it OK to add it through my strainer with a cartridge filter?

tundraSQ
06-09-2006, 09:56 PM
Curent problem is I don't have much clorox on hand and won't be able to pick it up for a few days. Do you think I could just add some calcium hypochlorite until then. By the way, is it OK to add it through my strainer with a cartridge filter?

Do you know your calcium level? I have never used calcium hypochlorite so I can't say for sure how it will react with the algacide.

bc9nd3h
06-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Nope, just what the strip gives me. PH, FC, ALK and CYA.