PDA

View Full Version : converting to salt generator

boscogabby
04-01-2006, 07:19 AM
I am converting from Baquacil to an Aquarite salt generator. Last year I stopped adding Baquacil to the pool knowing I was converting. Right now I have a 0 Baquacil reading according to the test strips. What do I need to do to complete the change? I also read in the Aquarite manual that the water should be balanced before starting the system. Should this be done before I install the system so I can circulate the water or can this be done with the system installed but not running? Thank you.

SJohnson
04-01-2006, 12:45 PM
You can do this with the system installed but set to not generate chlorine. There are manuals in pdf format on goldline's website, http://www.goldlinecontrols.com

Those may help, in case you haven't looked through them before. Anyway, you certainly can have the cell installed, but turned off. Are you installing the AquaLogic controller or is it the AquaRite control box? Either way, you can control the cell while you balance your water . . .

SJohnson

duraleigh
04-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Test Strips???? Ouch!!!!! Don't believe them. You'll need to get a drop-based test kit before you start and you're probably gonna' need quite a bit of clorox. I'm not insisting you've still got baqua in the pool.....but if you've had no sanitizer in since last year, you should not ask your SWG to "shock" your pool.....it might overload it's capacity and then you'll be bummed thinking it's not working properly.

There are some converts on the forum who can advise you better than I, and they'll help you along, I'm sure. Essentially, you'll need to bring Cl level up to shock value (around 12ppm since you have no CYA) and KEEP IT THERE until it holds that level overnight. Then post your test numbers on here to get in balance and then you're ready to start running your SWG.

I'm not sure you'll do any harm cleaning up your water with the SWG in the system but not running....my guess would be no harm....others will be along soon to give you better advice.:) :)

Dave S.

boscogabby
04-02-2006, 08:49 AM
Will all of that Clorox cause any fading or other damage to a vinyl liner of an inground pool? The pool is 2 years old.

duraleigh
04-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Will all of that Clorox cause any fading or other damage to a vinyl liner of an inground pool? The pool is 2 years old.

Short Answer....NOPE!!!

Just make sure you get a kit that will allow you to test accurately.

Dave S.

mwsmith2
04-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Definitely do not use your SWC to shock the pool. It runs the cell at 100% power for 24 hours...and shortens the lifespan of the cell. If I need to shock (which I haven't since I got the SWC) I would just use bleach.

Easy test to see if there's baq in there still. Slug a gallon of bleach in the pool. If it turns green, it's still in there!

On second thought, maybe not. That'll start a mess that you have to clean up right then and there. Go to the baquacil forum and read up on what has to be done. There's a good post in there that outlines what needs to be done.

Michael

boscogabby
04-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Would the bleach test work if I fill a bucket with the pool water and than added the bleach to see if it turns green?

mwsmith2
04-02-2006, 08:04 PM
Great idea! :D A tiny splash of 6% bleach in a 5 gal bucket should do it. Less than 1/2 ounce.

Michael

boscogabby
04-05-2006, 04:55 PM
I filled a 5 gallon bucket with pool water and threw some bleach in it. The water did not turn green but it did turn light brown, kind of like light iced tea. Is this a good sign or the start of trouble? I am also having a problem getting the bleach calc. The pool is 12x24, approximately 12500 gallons, can anyone help?

waterbear
04-05-2006, 05:01 PM
That sounds like it could be an iron problem....Not familiar at all with Bac...avoid it like the plague...so I don't know if "iced tea" is one of the colors it goes through when you try and kill it but it is one of the colors you can see with iron in your water.

mwsmith2
04-05-2006, 05:28 PM
If it turns colors, it's going to turn colors in your pool. No real way around that, sounds like you are most likely good to go, but I'd test for metals 1st, like waterbear noticed.

As for bleachcalc, you should be able to right-click and do "save target as" to save it to your computer. It's a windows app.

Michael

boscogabby
04-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Thanks. I expected the water to turn colors. I just wanted to know if the brown color was an indication of Baquacrap still being in the pool.

aylad
04-05-2006, 09:55 PM
I don't remember anyone mentioning the water turning brown during the conversion, but I do think you need to have your water tested for iron (and copper and any other metal) before you start your conversion. If you have iron in the water, and use enough chlorine to complete the conversion, you're quite likely going to have a stained liner to go along with it.

Janet

boscogabby
04-06-2006, 07:04 PM
What can cause this potential metal problem and how will it affect the conversion? Would partially draining the pool help? The pool was lowered for the winter and is now just about filled to the top with melted snow and rain water.

waterbear
04-07-2006, 10:15 AM
If it's iron it can come from the fill water, from pipes, from something metal that rusted in the pool, etc. Get it checked and once you know if there is metal in the water and what kind it will be easier to try and determine where it came from

boscogabby
04-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Had water tested today and no metals were found. However, there was still some Baquacrap in the water. Removed the cover and I am going to start the conversion this weekend.