PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Water in AG pool with DE filter

uscxv001
07-09-2014, 01:02 PM
Hello,

I have an above ground pool oval 16x32.

Recently my water tuurned cloudy. I had the water tested and was told my TC was high- 8.1ppm and my TA was low 54ppm. The PH was 7.0.

All they recommended was a product to increase my alkalintiy. Instead i bought a 4lb box of Baking Soda and added it to the Pool.

Two day later the pool is still cloudy.

Any ideas

phibud
07-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Any idea what your levels are "two" days later?

uscxv001
07-10-2014, 10:54 AM
Ok sorry i did not give you guys enough info.
I have a DE Filter-Hayward Regenx. MY pool holds approx 15,000 gallons.
So far I have added two 4lb boxes of Baking Soda to increase the Alkalinity. I have also shut my auto-clorinator off to reduce the TC.

PoolDoc
07-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Low alkalinity is never a cause of cloudy water. High chlorine is also never a cause. So, you've gotten some pretty useless advice from your store.

Take a look at the testkit info page: http://pool9.net/tk/ If at all possible, order a K2006.

Meanwhile see if your local Walmart has the HTH 6-way drops kit. If they do, get it. If not, get a cheap OTO/phenol red drops kit.

Post results, with whatever kit you find ASAP. I've got a page I wrote a number of years ago, listing 100 reasons for cloudy pool water, partly to make the point that it's very hard to tell WHY your pool is cloudy without more info. Complete test results are usually necessary, and test strips simply aren't accurate enough.

Meanwhile, be sure to maintain adequate to high chlorine levels: LOW chlorine will result in all sorts of cloudy water.

Also, if you haven't manually cleaned and washed your DE filter this season, now would be a good time to do so. DE filters can get choked with old DE, and that also can lead to cloudy water.

Good luck!