PDA

View Full Version : New 234 Test Results vs. 233 Test Results

freeclear
06-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Just got my new 234 kit! I love new, everything's so clean, no DPD residue on everything! So, I was trying to decide what 'old' reagents to keep and decided on a side by side test to compare 'old' vs. 'new'. Here are my results:

New PS234:
FC = 19
CC = 0
TC = 19
pH = 7.8 - 8.2 (I have a little trouble distinguishing the pinks)
Alk = 100
Cal = 280
Cya = 40
Temp = 90

Old PS233:
FC = 10.5
CC = 0
TC = 10.5
pH = 7.2
Alk = 110
Cal = out of R-0010, last reading was 300
Cya = 40
Temp = 90

My biggest changes were in the FC and pH readings. This concerns me because of something I have have been trying to experiment with, as described in this post, http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1097 . Rather than bothering myself with 'are the new reagents good', I am going with the safe assumption that the new kit is fresher, and my old reagents are aging. I thought my old reagents were fairly new, nothing older than a year. From now on I will make a copy of the reagent life chart, http://www.poolsolutions.com/kit/ps234_reagent_life.html , and put in the dates I received the reagents so I will know if I need to renew. Sounds like annually is a must for the DPD FC test, but who would have guessed on the pH test? And it was off by a large amount.

In conlusion, anyone else who has a leftover PS233 may want to test the reagents before deciding to keep the old ones.

Hope this is of value,

Mike

PoolDoc
06-10-2006, 08:55 AM
Don't throw anything away yet.

I'm very interested in those readings. I'll have to book mark this and get back to it later this weekend.

Ben
"PoolDoc"

scarywoody
06-12-2006, 02:44 PM
did you note the drop size. I read that some of ps234 drop tips were giving out small drops instead of large ones. That might account for the FC seeming so high. PH I have no idea, but I seem to read about .4-.6 lower on my 223 kit than my pool store does.

freeclear
06-17-2006, 11:28 AM
I have kept the old reagents, if you're still interested, Ben. In the meantime, should I adjust the pool based on the new reagents or the old?

Also, I have been cleaning the tip prior to testing. I believe this was the stated solution to possible problems with the drop sizes.

Thanks,

Mike