PDA

View Full Version : Impower pump motor problems

mllwd2000
07-04-2014, 09:59 AM
I have an impower pump motor that is about 2 yrs. old. It randomly shuts off for self check error. It is set on a timer to run 10 hours a day. Some days it runs fine and other days it shuts off(some days multiple times) for a self check error. This has been an ongoing issue for about 6 months after the pool installation. We had the installers out multiple times until they gave up on the problem. Is there anything I can check or do I need to replace the motor.
Just a little information which may not have anything to do with the issue but not sure. The wiring was changed on the motor so that the remote would operate on low speed only or high speed only.
Thanks in advance for any information.

Watermom
07-08-2014, 08:50 AM
I'm sorry you didn't get a reply yet. I wish I could help you with your problem but unfortunately can't. Hopefully someone else will be able to. I just wanted to pop in and say hello and welcome you to the Pool Forum!

mllwd2000
07-11-2014, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the welcome

mrkim
07-11-2014, 06:21 PM
As an electrical engineer I am qualified to help you but the best help should come from the manufacturer of the pump. If the installers can't help then a call to the manufacturer should be in order. Many manufacturers (not all) have manufacturer's representatives, some of them local, that fix problems like you are describing.

Several items that I would check are: temperature of the motor when it cuts out. Most motors will cut out on thermal. Why it is over-thermal is a long list of issues. The start capacitors may be an issue but this is difficult to test. The wiring was changed? Why? if it is in fact a two stage motor then it may be trying to go into high or low speed and there is no winding feedback for the controls: hence, "self check error" ?? Good luck, and please get the manufacturer involved, they would rather fix this than their motor get a bad reputation.

mllwd2000
07-12-2014, 06:20 PM
I have been on the phone with them a few times and they are suggesting a few things to try, such as loose connections and checking to see if the wiring was correct. According to them it is ok to wire it where it only runs in high speed. He discussed the temperature aspect of it and ruled it out, according to him it would show an over temp. condition( 3 flashes) and the fact that it will run ( on timer ) for a couple of days with no issues. ThNks for the response.

PoolDoc
07-12-2014, 06:38 PM
If it's an under-warranty motor, I'd get it replaced while you still can. Broken from the factor equipment is the factory's problem not yours. (Now, if you or lightning have inadvertently DAMAGED the motor, expect your warranty claim to be denied.

thepoolman1
07-22-2014, 08:43 PM
Having installed (and re-installed warranty replacements) many of these motor, I have found that there is really no way to repair them. the factory warranty people generally just offer a replacement. Had them come out once and re-program the drive, actually hooked a laptop to the electronic control and "flashed" the software to the latest revision. Didn't help. Had one that kept dying and being replaced. Turned out there was a voltage problem coming from the auto controller that the customer wouldn't fix. Fried the electronics and I finally gave up on him after 4 replacements.

If yours was a replacement motor that was installed, it has a two-year from date of manufacture warranty. If it came on a pump, probably only 1 year.

PoolDoc
07-23-2014, 10:32 AM
@thepoolman1: In your experience, is the failure rate on these motors higher than on complete VS pumps from Jandy, Hayward or Pentair?

mllwd2000
07-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Finally after a while, I have another motor on the way(warranty replacement). If the next one gives me problems then I will go with a different motor. Thanks everyone for the help.

PoolDoc
07-25-2014, 06:36 PM
You're welcome.

If you have a Google calendar or something similar, it would be helpful if you could put in an alarm to follow-up in a year on how the new motor has performed -- it's hard for us to get good info on things like that.

Good luck!

mllwd2000
07-26-2014, 08:54 AM
Got it set on google calender, thanks again