PDA

View Full Version : Help! Too much bleach during conversion!

poolgal13
06-08-2006, 09:19 PM
I just started doing a chlorine conversion and somehow, when I used the bleach calculator I screwed up and ended putting double the amount of bleach at one time. Have I ruined my vinyl pool?

waterbear
06-08-2006, 09:25 PM
how many gallons is your pool, how much bleach did you put in, and what strenth is the bleach? What ppm chlorine where you shooting for. If there is no stabilizer in the pool, which I assume there isn't since you have just started the conversion, a FC over 15 ppm could bleach your liner. However, the baq will eat up the chlorine pretty fast so I don't think you have much to worry about.

duraleigh
06-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Almost surely you have not hurt your liner. (Thought I'd be positive 'cause there's nothing anyone can do, anyway) :)

Seriously, I'll bet you're fine.

I think it would be very instructive to many of us if you could post your Cl reading tomorrow AM. Please let us know

poolgal13
06-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the encouragement--I feel like an idiot for first converting to Baquacil (the Pool Life magazine made it sound so great) and then accidently typing in the wrong # for the calculation. Right now I'm draining out some water so I replace it with new. Probably should have done that first.

I will post my readings in the morning. Very scared right now!

poolgal13
06-08-2006, 10:50 PM
Almost forgot--and no laughing, please--my pool is just a pop-up, 3000 gallon. I used the 6% bleach and put in 174 ounces, should have put in 102 ounces. It's not quite double, but who's counting at this point! The pool is a murky, greenish blue with shiny stuff floating on top. My husband is such a sweetie, he said if the pool is ruined we'll just get another one.

waterbear
06-08-2006, 11:09 PM
be sure to get a bunch of the disposable filters for it. You will need them as the conversion goos them up!

poolgal13
06-09-2006, 09:00 AM
I can't believe that my level is 0. Where is the chlorine going???!!!

Added a gallon of bleach this morning, and will monitor it today.

Water is murky, pea green color.

I know you all talked about goop on the filter, but mine was just a gold color with no goop. I was glad, since on Baquacil my filter would clog in a few hours. But, does this mean not enough reaction is happening?

mbar
06-09-2006, 09:05 AM
It's eating up the baquacil - keep dosing the pool with bleach - check it as often as you can, bring it back to shock levels and be consistant - the more consistant you are the faster your pool will clear. Good luck!

CarlD
06-09-2006, 09:23 AM
See? You didn't hurt your pool! You need to KEEP dosing it with bleach...though with a 3000 gallon popup, why didn't you just drain and refill, and then dose it with bleach?

poolgal13
06-09-2006, 10:01 AM
I actually did drain some last night and put fresh. I just hated to put in all new water and wait for it to get warm again for my little ones. Plus, our first pop up pool this summer had a leak and we had to drain it and buy a new one, and we're using a ton of water on our yard, which was newly seeded.

In retrospect, draining might have been better! But I'm hopeful this small amount of water will work to our advantage and it will clear quickly.

Thanks for everyone's support!