PDA

View Full Version : Bromine with Nature 2 to Chlorine

Mhorvath0623
06-28-2014, 10:48 PM
I am moving into a house that has been using Bromine with Nature 2. Would like to convert to chlorine as I am a long time pool owners that has always used chlorine and had great results. Pool in question is about 20k gallons, in ground, gunite. I have read the info on draining to go to chlorine. Any other issues with the Nature 2/Br system to chlorine?

Watermom
06-29-2014, 01:17 PM
Good decision to switch to chlorine. The Nature 2 adds metals to the water which is not a good thing. So, let me ask PoolDoc to see if that is going to complicate your conversion process.

Go ahead and order a Taylor K2006 or 2006C (better buy). Can't get it locally, but you can get it through this link:> http://pool9.net/tk/

Sit tight for now and I'll check with Ben.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

(Until you registration is completed, you won't be able to see the rest of the forum while you are logged in. So, copy that link and then paste it into a browser window after you log out.)

PoolDoc
06-29-2014, 10:58 PM
Conversion from bromine to chlorine pretty much involves draining and refilling.

The solid form of bromine contains bromine and a hydantoin carrier. This carrier chemical accumulates and apparently inhibits the conversion of bromide (left over bromine that can be regenerated to bromine by chlorine) into bromate, which does not regenerate.

The regeneration process means that, as long as 2 - 5 ppm of bromide remains in the pool, you can not have a chlorine pool, because added chlorine simply regenerates the bromide to bromine and is destroyed in the process.

The presence of hydantoin means that the small fraction of bromide that would have been converted to bromate, instead of bromine, instead also regenerates to bromine.

Conversion of all the bromide to bromate is the only method -- other than draining and refilling -- of 'converting' from a bromine pool to a chlorine pool -- but the presence of hydantoin inhibits that.

However, do NOT drain your pool!

You must FIRST confirm that you CAN drain it safely. If you have a liner, you can not. If you have a fiberglass pool and are not on a hill side, it's iffy. If you have a concrete pool in a flat damp area . . . it's STILL risky.

Mhorvath0623
06-30-2014, 08:27 AM
So what do I do if I cannot drain the pool? Will dilution (drain 80% - refill) cycles make this possible over time?

PoolDoc
06-30-2014, 09:53 AM
You can't drain 80% of a liner pool, in most cases. There is a way to replace the water in a vinyl pool without draining it, but it's a PITA.

Do this:

1. Get the Taylor K2006 kit. You'll need it, no matter which direction you go. http://pool9.net/tk/

2. Fill out the pool equipment form, so I have a clear picture of what you're dealing with: http://pool9.net/pf-equip-form/

3. Continue to use the Nature2 (copper) and bromine, till you have a COMPLETE plan for conversion. You do not want to have the pool turn green while you work things out!