PDA

View Full Version : How long do you keep using it?

Hermskii
06-28-2014, 11:05 AM
I'm about to use this filter cleaning method suggested here:

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php/18044-Cleaning-your-Cartridge-Filter-without-Damaging-It

It says:

How-to clean a filter cartridge - 2 cartridge method:
1. Get TWO cartridge sets for your filter.
2. Find a plastic container large enough to completely submerge the cartridge, when 3/4 full.
3. Fill 3/4 full with clean water.
4. Add TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) at the rate of 2lbs per 5 gallons; mix till dissolved.
5. Remove dirty cartridge #1 from filter.
6. Install clean cartridge #2 into filter, and restore filter operation.
7. Spray off dirty cartridge #1; spray carefully BETWEEN the pleats.
8. Add 1/2 cup of bleach per 5 gallons, to the cleaning solution, and mix.
9. Place cartridge #1 in cleaning solution, and cover.
10. Leave cartridge #1 in cleaning solution for 24 hrs. (alternately: till ready to swap!).
11. Remove cartridge #1 from cleaning solution; rinse carefully and thoroughly with water; allow to drain; rinse again.

My question about this process is this:

After I have cleaned the first filter, how long will this mixture last? Am I supposed to keep using it for the rest of the month? The rest of the year? Do I throw it away after one use?

Another question I have is this:

If I do keep using it over some duration of time do I need to refresh/replenish/re-strengthen the solution with more chlorine over time for instance or add more TSP maybe? Lastly, how long would you keep your filter cartridge that is being cleaned in this mixture? It seems to me the minimum is 24 hrs. and the max is until you pull it out to be switched with your other filter. Your thoughts?

Thank you all for your replies!

kelemvor
06-28-2014, 05:57 PM
I can't answer on how long the mixture will keep. However, you probably don't need to be doing this thorough of a cleaning on a regular basis. I do it about once a year. Actually, I didn't do it at all last year. I rinse my cartridge when the filter pressure gets 10psi above where it's at when clean. That's just a (reclaimed) freshwater rinse with a hose and a spray nozzle.

nefretrameses
06-28-2014, 06:48 PM
I also do this infrequently. Like after "pollen season" when a bunch of stuff gets trapped in the cartridge, or maybe if there was some algae fight. I usually replace my cartridge annually anyway. But your Intex filter is different than my 120 sq. ft. or kelemvor's 125 sq. ft. cartridges. You may benefit from more frequent treatments.

Hermskii
06-28-2014, 11:34 PM
There was more on the page I listed:

=============================================
12.(OPTIONAL) If cartridge needs to be acid cleaned, take 2nd container and fill 1/2 with water.
(Do NOT acid clean because it *might* help!)
13.(OPTIONAL) Add 1/4 gallon of muriatic acid per 5 gallons of water. If removing metals, also add 1/2 pound of ascorbic acid. Mix.
14.(OPTIONAL) Place double rinsed cartridge in acid solution & cover.
15.(OPTIONAL) Wait at least 1 hour. Remove cartridge after no more than 4 hours.
16.(OPTIONAL) Rinse carefully and thorougly with water; allow to drain; rinse again.
17.(OPTIONAL) Store solution covered for re-use; renew with 1/8 gallon of muriatic and 1/4 lb of ascorbic acid.
18.(OPTIONAL) Before disposing of solution, neutralize with soda ash -- added SLOWLY! Add soda ash repeatedly till fizzing stops.
=============================================

19. Store cartridge in a secure location till ready to use. (Or leave in TSP soak)

See that line #19. I guess that is part of one of my answers.

The cartridges I'm using are the Unicel type ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0039X2XZK/scouscho-20 ) for my above ground pool. I'm told 2 of them should make it through the season alternating them between the TSP solution every 2 weeks. I just changed them out for the first time and this filter is so much better than the intex ones for this filter pump. I still had plenty of flow but went through this process anyways because I thought I needed to. I'm thinking I'll try to wait a month this time and see how dirty the brand new filter is compared to the first brand new one was when I took it out today after its first 2 weeks of life. I'd love to only have to swap them out every 3 months or so. that would be awesome.