PDA

View Full Version : What is the proper size cartridge filter for my situation?

mobilemike73
06-26-2014, 02:05 PM
I have a 10,000 gallon AG pool, along with a 2HP pump and 100# sand filter. The pump is far too powerful for this filter and my pool is cloudy because the algae is getting blown through the sand due to the powerful pump. It's been filtering for weeks and the water is still not clearing. (My water chemistry is just about perfect, and I have had FC in excess of 10ppm during this whole time).

Question 1: Can I use the sand filter as a pre-filter and connect a cartridge filter to the return side of the sand filter? This way only the smallest particles make it through to the cartridge filter, hopefully prolonging cartridge cleaning cycles.

Question 2: What is the appropriate size of cartridge filter to use for a pump this size?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike

mas985
06-26-2014, 03:31 PM
You are sure that it is only dead algae, right? A filter will not eliminate live algae.

But before replacing your filter, put a cup or two of DE in the sand filter and see if that doesn't clear up the water. Some algae is smaller than what a sand filter can remove so sometimes it needs a little help.

Given that you close your pool for the winter and I assume that you have a green mess at opening, a cartridge may not be your best choice. Sand filters are perhaps the easiest filters to have during opening.

mobilemike73
06-26-2014, 04:40 PM
well, I've been running very high levels of FC for several weeks now (10-30ppm), and the water is cloudy white and has been since I added approx 200 ppm of cal hypo (over 2-3 days) to the pool to kill off the swamp. Is it possible for the algae to be white and still alive?

mas985
06-26-2014, 06:17 PM
Ok, so it sounds like the algae is dead. Then you might want to try the DE to see if that helps clear it up.

Watermom
06-26-2014, 07:11 PM
More info about trying the DE in the sand filter can be found here:> http://pool9.net/de-test/