PDA

View Full Version : What do plunger valves do & are they necessary?

tfloris
06-24-2014, 06:08 PM
I have a 14 x 4 intex pool with a saltwater system & the small filter that came with it. This is the 2nd year for the saltwater system so I know how to take care of it, but this year I have issues with low flow alarm. I checked all the logically issues with no avail. I decided to upgrade my pump to the bigger 1500 one. My pool does not currently have plunger valves nor did the new pump come with them. I do, however, have an adapter from the saltwater system that I could use to connect from the pool to the hose. So, I am wondering if I really need the plunger valves & will the new filter work just as well without it?

PoolDoc
06-26-2014, 05:19 PM
They are shut off valves. The pump and filter can run just fine with out them, but using them makes it much easier to service the pump and filter.

. . . membership upgraded.

Pappy
06-26-2014, 10:22 PM
The new style plunger valves also have a vacuum breaker device built in. It is designed to let air into the suction side of the pump (making it loose prime) if the intake gets restricted. This is a safety feature to prevent entrapment. They also let the hoses hang straight down. There is a close up picture of the "B-adapter" and a plunger valve in this thread.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php/23562-Intex-cartridge-to-sand-filter-changeover.

Pappy