PDA

View Full Version : Sta-Rite pump for Intex pool

Pntbllr233
06-23-2014, 07:54 PM
Hello all,

I bought my house in October and the previous owner left me there Intex pool. It's approximately 5,000 gallons, but I'm. It sure the size. I've got it cleaned up and looking blue, but it has been very cloud. My local pool store said the Intex pumps are slow to clear things up because they're so small, so I came up with a weird idea. My mom had a spare Sta-Rite pump (model #JWPAS5F-2A4). I took that pump and would like to swap it with my Intex pump. My hope is that it will move the water much faster and will allow me to keep it clean and clear.

Sounds good on paper, but here's my problem. I don't know thread sizes for either the Intex hoses or the Sta-Rite pump. Anyone have any ideas? The hose is 1.5", but I don't know about the threads. My pool store said Intex uses its own threads and hoses, so finding an Intex to Sta-Rite adapter is not likely.

Suggestions? Comments? Concerns? I'm new to pool ownership. I'm just trying to use something my mom has sitting around that I believe would work better with my pool.

Thanks all,

Mike

PoolDoc
06-24-2014, 12:32 PM
It doesn't even sound good, on paper.

If you switch to that pump, without a MAJOR upgrade of your filter, you'll actually make filtration WORSE. That pump is hugely oversized for an Intex filter, and would most likely destroy it.

. . . membership upgraded.

Pntbllr233
06-24-2014, 05:37 PM
I never thought of the filter situation with adding the new pump. My pool store just talked about how slow the Intex pump/filter system worked. My immediate thought was to replace it. I guess that means the chlorinator would need to be replaced with something a little bulkier if I were able to get the Sta-Rite pump on.

PoolDoc
06-24-2014, 11:49 PM
Upgrading the Intex systems DOES help. But you have to upgrade BOTH the pump and the filter. And that Sta-Rite pump would be too big in any case.