PDA

View Full Version : Pressure side cleaners?

waterbear
03-31-2006, 10:52 PM
My builder installed a second pump when my pool was built for water features (deck jets, spillovers,and bubblers) that has it's own intake a bit below the water level and a return also a bit below water level (at the same height as the pool returns on the primary pump/fllter/heater/ swg lines). There is a 3 way jandy valve installed that will allow me to direct water to the water features or to the aux pool return to use with a pressure side cleaner. The pump is a 1 hp Pentair Pinnacle which is an uprated pump so it's equivalent to a 3/4 HP full rated (1 hp moter, 1.25 service factor). My builder seems to think the cleaner I need is the Polaris 360 which is designed to connect to the pool returns and does not need a booster pump but I think the 380 might be a better choice since I essentially have a 3/4 HP pump plumbed directly from the pool and back to the pool so there should be practically no back pressure. When the valve is turned to the cleaner position the water blasts out of the cleaner return. I think there might be too much pressure for the 360. I have not been able to fine any performace graphs for the booster pumps except for the pentair which is a 3/4 hp with a 1.5 service factor so it is slightly less powerful than the Pinnacle I have intsalled. Anyone out there that can help?

Also anyone have any experience with the Hayward Phantom. It looks pretty neat but I seem to remember there was some dissatifaction with it before the board crashed. I do remember the Zodiac Mars got some bad reviews and seem to self destruct after about 2 years.

CarlD
04-01-2006, 11:27 AM
I used a Polaris 165 pressure side cleaner (no booster)with mixed results--but the pump (a 1hp Hayward SuperPump) wasn't the issue. When it worked, it worked well, but the mechanism went bad--it would keep curling up inside the hose. Polaris sent me a new insides and then it worked OK again. Also the bag isn't very fine so I would toss in cotton balls or a chunk of sheet cotton to act as a filter. That worked pretty well. I was only OK with it. Now I have a Robotic and the Polaris is in the basement. For spot cleaning I use a PoolBuster (like an underwater DustBuster). The P/B has a bit of trouble holding a charge for long, but it still works very, very well.

sb2323
05-07-2006, 03:00 PM
We have had the Phantom for about 2 months and are well-pleased. It does a great job cleaning the surface, sides and bottom of the pool, and a pretty good job on the steps. It was super easy and fast to install, and is easy to clean as well. We got ours from flpools on eBay and were pleased with the service and price ($480), and it shipped the same day we paid.