PDA

View Full Version : Need advice installing Intex 9x18 please!!!

larrylintz
06-22-2014, 03:11 PM
Hi. I have pool but confused about setup.

1. videos show pool being set up over grass, but we are also told surface has to be absolutely level and of course grass is bumpy and uneven. Do i have to dig up the lawn sod and lay sand down?
2. If yes, how deep to i go and how thick is the layer of sand?
3. How level is level. do i need to flatten it out with something from home depot, and get big level out there to make sure 's absolutely flat?
4. I see some people put down a layer of sand and then some kind of styrofoam. Some swear by this, others including Mermaid here in Ottawa say the stuff gets damaged and dented when kids are jumping on it, etc. Advice?
3. If i dig up and put down layer of sand do i need 2x6 or 2x8 hinged boards around it?

BigDave
06-22-2014, 11:55 PM
1) Level and flat are different things. If you can live with bumpy underfoot no problem. If one side of the pool is a couple inches lower than the other, you'll probably have a problem.

2) Deep enough so that the entire area under the pool and it's support legs is level. Sand is probably a poor choice as sand will wash away with heavy rain and shift away from load points like the support legs of a frame pool. Dig to level, don't build up. Built up soil must be thoroughly compacted or the pool will compact it and go out of level.

3) Level is measured level - within an inch, preferably less. A long, straight board with a torpedo, 2' or 4' level could be used but a water level with a couple marked stakes would be better.

4) Styrofoam will increase the chance of puncturing the bottom of the pool as the foam will crush under a point like a toenail or a hard toy underfoot allowing the point to penetrate the pool floor.

5) I suppose if you have an easy set pool (no frame) you could build containment for a volume of sand that would keep it from washing away.

Congrats on the pool. Leveling it will be the hardest part. Maintenance will be easier if you learn how and make a plan before you install the pool. Read the stickied threads in the forums here and the guides at poolsolutions.com. Take a good look at the Super Simple Startup Recipe at: http://pool9.net/intex-ssr/ (http://pool9.net/intex-ssr/).

As a trial user, you'll need to log out to see the rest of the forum. Copy the URL and paste it into your browser after you log out.

PoolDoc
06-24-2014, 11:26 AM
. . . membership upgraded.